6V53 clayliner question. Large logo class 50?

andy stroud

2 hours ago, w124bob said:

I find it ironic that the refurbished Clayhoods stayed within the west country and yet clay traffic to to Stoke and even the far north (Corpach?) was dispatched in almost anything with 5 planks . I get that the 9 ft wheelbase would have max speed implications, but why the hood versus non hood particularly as BR went to the trouble of converting many of the ancient 10ft wb fleet to roller bearings. anyone know the reason ?

The speed implications would have been pretty significant; 35 max for Clayhoods, against 45 for the OWVs. The 5-plankers looked pretty tatty, but the running gears was fine, and roller-bearings meant they could cover long-distance runs with much less risk of a 'hot box' I spent a few months working at Longport, Stoke, and all the clay wagons I saw had Pool numbers painted prominently on, suggesting they weren't picked at random. The permanently-fitted hood of the OUV would have served no purpose on jobs where unloading was done by grabs, and it, and the end doors, would have been an unwonted complication.

Regarding the composition of the Clayliner; the only vehicles I saw were OWVs, Vanfits for bagged clay, and the occasional OHV and OUV. I would suggest that the mixed formations would have been St Blazey- Exeter- STJ and onwards workings via Warrington to Scotland.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The speed implications would have been pretty significant; 35 max for Clayhoods, against 45 for the OWVs. The 5-plankers looked pretty tatty, but the running gears was fine, and roller-bearings meant they could cover long-distance runs with much less risk of a 'hot box' I spent a few months working at Longport, Stoke, and all the clay wagons I saw had Pool numbers painted prominently on, suggesting they weren't picked at random. The permanently-fitted hood of the OUV would have served no purpose on jobs where unloading was done by grabs, and it, and the end doors, would have been an unwonted complication.

Regarding the composition of the Clayliner; the only vehicles I saw were OWVs, Vanfits for bagged clay, and the occasional OHV and OUV. I would suggest that the mixed formations would have been St Blazey- Exeter- STJ and onwards workings via Warrington to Scotland.

Were the metal OHVs used in the same way as the 5 plankers or were they used for bagged clay.?

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

I am going to stick my neck out and say yes, I think so.

The diesel that came up on 6M32 and went back on 6V53 was generally a WR type 4 mostly a 46 or 45, sometimes a Brush, but definitely occasionally a class 50. I must have been on early shift and distinctively remember it was a 50 this particular day and was probably a fairly clean large logo example. Unfortunately though, that is all I remember.  

getting closer

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andy stroud said:

getting closer

As someone else with an interest in modelling the West Country I really do hope that you find an image of what you’re looking for. However, the overlap between large logo 50s appearing and the demise of the vacuum-braked wagons on this train is only a matter of months and class 50s were unusual motive power for the train. If, and it’s a big if, large logo 50s ever worked this train it is likely that it only happened a very few times. That said, whilst a photo proves something did happen, lack of a photo doesn’t prove it didn’t. Good luck with the search!

• Like 1