Lancaster Lane & Dewar’s Street

LDM34046

Thank you all for your kind words! The deadline for the show has given me a good kick of motivation to get some more bits done

Painted a few more figures this morning. I’ve noticed that the Hardy Hobbies figures come up slightly smaller compared to the Modelu figures but not too noticeable when kept apart on the layout.

IMG_1153.jpg.1e393ac53d77b3a56cd847a8d4c09a49.jpg

IMG_1152-Edit.jpg.c26e7c9c9fe57769ca45708f6f073976.jpg

Modelu have since released a load of new detailing products for both the yard and the locos so another project for the future.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 6

A trip up north to the Great Electric Train Show today. A good show with plenty of lovely layouts on display. Probably a tad too busy for my liking but great for the hobby after a difficult two years!

Oh, and a decision was made on couplings…

Commencing Project 3-Link…

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

Making a start on the 3-links. Three wagons done so far. Not as fiddly as I first thought although a bit more practice is needed for drilling the holes in the buffer beams. Maybe a smaller drill bit!

IMG_1357-Edit.jpg.27cfa79d31bc1b77e586845629c29b16.jpg

IMG_1358-Edit-Edit.jpg.8385ea5b846735f075c64c70df464372.jpg

IMG_1359-Edit.jpg.190f4a4dc85b9f4c301c1f7016a2b996.jpg

Really happy with the result. Leaps and bounds over the standard coupling. I still need to remove the NEM pocket.

Much shorter distance between the individual wagons. Much more noticeable.

Three done. 14 wagons left to do, plus the four locos once I’m brave enough!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 9

A nice new addition to the layout. Oh how I’ve missed the exhibition bargain buckets!

IMG_1401-Edit.jpg.0993192f289cb971e61f847624143476.jpg

Always impressed with Bachmann models and really looking forward to giving this 20 Ton Panel Van a light weathering.

IMG_1403-Edit.jpg.2ef084b65552c27532fdae3e942d665d.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 10

Both the Pannier and Jinty are now back on the layout having been fitted with Zimo decoders and stay-alive chips. A big thank you to Kevin at Coastal DCC for his work again. Next job is to tidy up a bit of the weathering and add the locomotive detailing packs.

IMG_1397-Edit.jpg.cbbc881b98ddf6e62fd6d0e6cc44ff64.jpg

IMG_1398-Edit.jpg.505b3e9b5b402df881094f33c4ac292c.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 8

On 04/10/2021 at 11:01, LDM34046 said:

A nice new addition to the layout. Oh how I’ve missed the exhibition bargain buckets! :yahoo:

One thing that I learned from years of attending autojumbles is to always look around the stalls that are piled up with the kind of thing you wouldn't normally be interested in. The stuff they don't value is probably what you're after.

Although I'm probably preaching to the converted, at model railway exhibitions, look in the boxes under the club layout that isn't your era/ region/ style.

My best bargain so far was an unopened D&S cast / etched kit for a GWR outside framed brake van at £10. When these turn up on eBay, the bidding hits £60-£80.

Of course, I have also been tempted by useless junk too...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

One thing that I learned from years of attending autojumbles is to always look around the stalls that are piled up with the kind of thing you wouldn't normally be interested in. The stuff they don't value is probably what you're after.

Although I'm probably preaching to the converted, at model railway exhibitions, look in the boxes under the club layout that isn't your era/ region/ style.

My best bargain so far was an unopened D&S cast / etched kit for a GWR outside framed brake van at £10. When these turn up on eBay, the bidding hits £60-£80.

Of course, I have also been tempted by useless junk too...

I agree! This particular bargain bucket was tucked away in the far corner of the exhibition in a box under the stand. 

Usually, when shifting through buckets I have google open to hand checking how the prices compare online. It does surprise me some of the mark ups these big retailers have on some items!

• Friendly/supportive 1

A few more wagons finished over the weekend. Really happy with how they look although I’m still not sure about operating, especially with the exhibition coming up. They might just take a bit more practice but I could always revert back to the NEM for the show.

IMG_1490-Edit.jpg.0e88c8a1a1c8f726e1a1b4c7adaacbf7.jpg

IMG_1489-Edit.jpg.b5e9703349691b0d7efbe154871df9fc.jpg

About half of the stock has now been converted and I need to order a few more sets to finish of the rest of the wagons. 

Operating is fun, however I found myself changing the way I operate the layout because of the couplings which is why I’m hesitant to progress with the rest of the stock. I suppose I’m back to square one in terms of the balance between looking realistic and operating potential.

Hmmmm, some head scratching to do!

IMG_1487-Edit.jpg.6122d82a86ae09c22051c2a0a0b25a05.jpg

IMG_1484-Edit.jpg.6fd4731e76bebf79f48feffaac487d02.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

On 11/10/2021 at 14:24, Graham T said:

I'll be interested to see how you get on, as I haven't yet decided on couplings either.

The biggest gain is the looks. They’re relatively easy to fit and in terms of coupling and uncoupling they’re pretty easy with the right technique. But that’s with me sitting at the layout and eye level on my desk. I’m not sure how practical they’ll be in an exhibition environment.

IMG_1488-Edit.jpg.6f4891ac6cc790ecbef648ff1b82f8cf.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Operating is fun, however I found myself changing the way I operate the layout because of the couplings which is why I’m hesitant to progress with the rest of the stock. I suppose I’m back to square one in terms of the balance between looking realistic and operating potential.

I think we touched on this earlier in your thread, but it bears repeating. For playing at home, and for photography, then three-links is obviously the preferred option, but for a prolonged operating session then some form of coupling which allows quick and easy attaching and detaching is better - whether that be Kadees and magnets, or Tension-locks and ramps - so it's worth considering having a different set of stock for each purpose. Locomotives can be modified with a length of wire between the buffer stocks to allow tension-locks to attach, and yet still have the three-link hook and drawbar.

Al.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

I think we touched on this earlier in your thread, but it bears repeating. For playing at home, and for photography, then three-links is obviously the preferred option, but for a prolonged operating session then some form of coupling which allows quick and easy attaching and detaching is better - whether that be Kadees and magnets, or Tension-locks and ramps - so it's worth considering having a different set of stock for each purpose. Locomotives can be modified with a length of wire between the buffer stocks to allow tension-locks to attach, and yet still have the three-link hook and drawbar.

Al.

I agree Al. For prolonged sessions it does becomes quite tiresome. All my stock still retain the NEM coupling socket so it’s easy to switch between the two should I want to.

I’m glad I’ve converted some of the stock. I wanted to give the system a try for operating, and of course for photography.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

I agree Al. For prolonged sessions it does becomes quite tiresome. All my stock still retain the NEM coupling socket so it’s easy to switch between the two should I want to.

I’m glad I’ve converted some of the stock. I wanted to give the system a try for operating, and of course for photography.

I'm certainly leaning towards three-link, because for me it's more about the look and feel of the layout than operating it.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm certainly leaning towards three-link, because for me it's more about the look and feel of the layout than operating it.

Agreed. They definitely have a great prototypical feel about them!

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the first day of getting Lancaster Lane ready for its debut exhibition in a few weeks time.

The trestles were assembled and given a test run. A bit fiddly to put together but nice and sturdy once the bolts are done up tight.

Debated with different heights for a while. As much as Lancaster Lane is best viewed at eye level I realised that wasn’t very practical for exhibition use. I think the height of the trestles ended up at about 120cm, making the layout sit comfortably at the lower chest.

Thick black fabric has also been ordered to form the curtain, which should hopefully be held in place with simple thumb tacks. Until that arrives an artistic impression will have to suffice!

All that’s left to do now is make up a sign for the layout name and that all important job of making sure it all fits in the car!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 6

Lancaster Lane is on the move!

Set up for it’s debut at Gravesend Model Railway Show this weekend. A bit of a last minute rush to get the trestles and drape sorted. 

The laser cut sign is a great addition to the layout. Made by a lovely chap who reached out to me on Twitter. His website is below, not a paid ad, just an excellent product!

https://flexxgenix.com/?doing_wp_cron=1636150128.3253018856048583984375

A few electrical niggles with one of the points which decides when it wants to work but it seems to be resolved just before we left for the night. Time will tell tomorrow! 

Here’s to a hopefully successful weekend! If you’re visiting please do come and say hello!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

Day One complete!

A great day and incredibly well supported for a local show including a great chat with the local Mayor about all things railways.

The faulty point has been investigated and turns out to be a faulty switch. The issue can be over come by applying pressure to the switch while the locomotive moves over the point but a replacement will be sorted after the event.

One of the Peckett’s has decided it didn’t want to play ball, after running perfectly for half a year! Always the way! Think it’s something to do with electrical pick-up as I don’t think all four wheels sit flat on the track.

Not the end of the world. A great day operating with my dad and enjoying great conversation with the general public!

Roll on the final day tomorrow! 

Edited by LDM34046
Spelling & Co.
  • Round of applause 4

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the radio silence.

The final day of the exhibition went smoothly and lots of lovely comments! Lancaster Lane made it back home safely and in one piece!

The faulty switch has been re-wired with new connections across both contacts to improve the reliability.

However I’ve not had a chance to test the new fix as one of the fiddle yard droppers has become unsoldered. With a new work contract resulting in a few seven day weeks in the run up to Christmas I’m not sure when I’m going to have chance to both fix the fiddle yard and shoot some new photos.

Hopefully a stray free evening pops up!

In the meantime, happy modelling! 

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

A quiet rainy morning has meant I've had the chance to do a bit of modelling. Really enjoying kit building at the moment, especially these Parkside kits. Looking forward to tackling some larger builds on the next layout. Next job is to get it painted and weathered to sit alongside my other recently finished wagon kit.

IMG_2547-Edit.jpg.3676f043e0d38ea48f5cf1e16d3f79d5.jpg

IMG_2545-Edit.jpg.c064ac17373c8e69fc8976c6e6b05f75.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, LDM34046 said:

A quiet rainy morning has meant I've had the chance to do a bit of modelling. Really enjoying kit building at the moment, especially these Parkside kits. Looking forward to tackling some larger builds on the next layout. Next job is to get it painted and weathered to sit alongside my other recently finished wagon kit.

IMG_2547-Edit.jpg.a4604858286a7444c57952769fc26afc.jpg

IMG_2545-Edit.jpg.9b7c652a41dfc4adfa120db39fbf9a6f.jpg

Excellent work! I've done quite a few Parkside kits now, and they usually go together nicely. 

41 minutes ago, Mark90 said:

Excellent work! I've done quite a few Parkside kits now, and they usually go together nicely. 

Thank you Mark! I built a Cambrian Model kit as a kid and it was an absolute mess so avoid kits for years. Now with my newfound modelling confidence I've been really enjoying the Parkside kits. It's nice they include everything including transfers and wheels.

• Like 2