z21 compatibility with TCS and Hornby.

posneg6

Hi just a little niggling problem with my z21 start . I have been using it for a few years and only recently set it up again after two years in a box. I have a new Wlan maus working well (sort of  its battery went flat and I had to re prog the language!) and the older red Multi Maus. all good and wifi no problem.

The issue is with a few of my programmed decoders will not respond on the z21 iPhone or the iPad it is the black updated app. I have a TCS T1 chip in the loco and it will not recognise the chip it will not read any CVs or reset. I have taken the locoe apart cleaned all the contacts running on DC backwards and forwards the lights work and it works well the problem is I connected directly to the program track with the manual programming option on the app and it will not read any CV's. I found the original CV3 address which is 1 as it's logo number is 60001. I added it to my vehicles with the correct CV3 being number one and it runs fine backwards forwards except that I cannot reprogram the lights as they are not doing what they should.

I'm in CV programming> Manual> prog track.  Annoying as I have a few like that and I'm far too stingy to throw them out. Also it's not a dirty track problem as I connect the track to the red and black leads with short croc clip cables that are soldered to the pick ups while the loco is on the prog track. 

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Cheers in advance 

IMG_6661.png

IMG_6646.jpeg

A couple of things:

(1) CV3 does not store the loco address - this is held in CV1.  CV3 is for momentum.

(2) Is the decoder hard wired or connected via an 8-pin plug?  If the latter is it plugged in the right way round?

(3) How have you tried to reset the decoder?  To reset you need to put a value of 2 into CV8 - try this 2 or 3 times.  The loco address should reset itself to 3.

One thing that John missed. After the reset remove the loco from the track for a couple of seconds to cycle the power to the decoder. many decoders won't complete the reset until after a power cycle. I've got a few ancient decoders like the T1 and some Digitrax DH121s that are still fine with Z21 and Digikeijs DR5000 but needed the factory reset after sitting dormant for a couple of years. 

• Thanks 1

J in appreciate your help. (1) Oops my mistake I know it’s CV 1 and I Also know CV 3 is the default for new and reset decoders.

(2) It is plugged into a harness and it is the right way round as I said it does run reasonably well.
(3)It not possible to reset CV 8 as z22will not read the decoder. See screen shot of App. 
Reseting the decoder is the problem. 

E515FEA6-876E-46C3-AA6D-29643E6F2FE7.png

17 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

One thing that John missed. After the reset remove the loco from the track for a couple of seconds to cycle the power to the decoder. many decoders won't complete the reset until after a power cycle. I've got a few ancient decoders like the T1 and some Digitrax DH121s that are still fine with Z21 and Digikeijs DR5000 but needed the factory reset after sitting dormant for a couple of years. 

Hi and thanks. The reset won’t work when I press the set Cv button the app light goes green on both Z21 and App stays green for ages nothing happens. Tried it many times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Still no joy with the z21 I have sent an email to Rocco finger crossed. here is my email 

Hi Rocco,

2 problems with my z21Start I have had this unit for maybe 10 years some of my decoders are that old. I use Apple IOS. on my iphone sometimes the slider speed control works but the slider is not visible. the z21 will not read some decoders I have a few TCS T1 and it works fine on the z21 but in Programming on program track it will not read any CV's. it is not dirty wheels or track as I connect the loco directly to the program track with croc clip oto the red and black wires of the decoder. I have a few locos that behave erratically and I cannot reset them with the z21. The app reads in red letters ' CV address cannot be read" In the update app it says Firmware 1.33. Also version 1.3.4. (5549).
 I have asked RMweb forum and Z21 facebook page but no answers. can you help please ?
kind regards Terence " 

Can this controller have its firmware updated. As you say it is old, it is also likely to be out of date.

Edit - you mention Hornby in the topic title but not in text. Are we to presume the loco is Hornby.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1