Visitors to the Southern; Post war - Pre nationalisation

Jack P

My, almost certainly incomplete, understanding is that the WR loco working to Redhill were specifically diagrammed to allow WR crews to obtain and retain route knowledge. But, if correct, that poses the question: why?

TBH, I'm really only "into" this because it provides a background excuse for me having a GWR mogul to run on my toy railway (somehow, by accident, I seem to have a Pannier and a Prairie too!), and because I remember Hymeks, which always seemed GWR, at Redhill.

The trouble with absence of evidence, as in having searched for pictures of GWR locos to Redhill pre-WW2 and not found any, is that it isn't evidence of absence. What i have read is an account of the operation of the Birkenhead train pre-WW2, which was very specific about the motive power: GWR to Reading; SR Mogul onwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, so my LMS ex-LNWR Webb Coal Tank has arrived from Rails; has anyone managed to identify what is coupled up behind it?

Looks like 2 old coaches (presumably LMS or ex-LNWR) and a van - but which?

[Ref: London's Lost Railways by Charles Klapper, as above]

Tony

On 30/12/2020 at 12:15, Nearholmer said:

........... a background excuse for me having a GWR mogul to run on my toy railway (somehow, by accident, I seem to have a Pannier and a Prairie too!), ..........

Whoever rostered those locos for your toy railway seems to have rostered a 57XX for a through freight to my South Eastern Division toy railway - oddly one that turned up at Folkestone eleven years in the future .......... and there's a rumour there's one of them new-fangled taper-boiler jobbies heading in this direction too !

• Funny 1