Loksound V5L from DCkits in Heljan O gauge 43xx - no coasting sound

Stringfingerling

I installed a Loksound V5L in my new Heljan O gauge mogul yesterday and after a bit of a struggle it's working ok.  The sounds are good except it won't stop chuffing.  DCKits Charlie Petty told me it should stop chuffing on lowering by one speed step but at present the loco chuffs to a halt.  Any ideas please?  I'm using an NCE Powercab to control it and make changes to CV's etc.

11 minutes ago, wiggy1 said:

Sounds like you have F16 turned on???

Wiggy.

On my NCE Powercab it's difficult to tell which functions are engaged above 1 - 10 as you have engage them by pressing option and the single digit in question so F16 would be Option + 6.  There is nothing to indicate when you've done that apart from the changed sound or whatever.  I've tried F16 just now a couple of times and it doesn't appear to do anything.  What would F16 normally do?  There are no instructions or manual with the sound project so I'm working what everything does by trial and error.

3 minutes ago, Stringfingerling said:

Thanks for the idea - is there any danger of that corrupting the sound project?

It won't corrupt the sound project but it will remove any changes you have made to the file.

Check that you have not got F16 on first.

Wiggy.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Stringfingerling said:

On my NCE Powercab it's difficult to tell which functions are engaged above 1 - 10 as you have engage them by pressing option and the single digit in question so F16 would be Option + 6.  There is nothing to indicate when you've done that apart from the changed sound or whatever.  I've tried F16 just now a couple of times and it doesn't appear to do anything.  What would F16 normally do?  There are no instructions or manual with the sound project so I'm working what everything does by trial and error.

Have you tried looking in the website ????? 

It tells you what you want to know, probably quicker than asking the question on RM Web.     Charlie.

Function Key . 

F0 Lights On/Off. (If fitted)

F1 Sound On/Off. (Fade Sound while Driving)

F2 Whistle 1

F3 Whistle 2

F4 Uncoupling Sounds / Buffer Clash

F5 Loco Active Brake Application (CV179 Increases/Decreases Brake Application)

F6 Wheel Slip (Not on all Projects).  

F7 Injector.  (Latching)

F8 Automatic Uncoupling.  

F9 Flange Squeal (Speed Dependant)

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F11 Wagon Buffer Clash & Starting/Stopping noises.

F12 Coal Shovelling On/Off. (Latching + Aux 1 Firebox Glow)

F13 Tender Water Filling.  (Latching)

F14 Safety Valves. (Latching)

F15 Cylinder Drain Cocks On/Off (Works at Low Speed).

F16 Heavy Load Starting Mode. (Latching)

F17 Shunting Mode. (Switch between Light & Heavy chuffs)

F18 Detonators. (Alternate)

F19 Random Sounds On/Off

F20 Aux 2

F21 AWS Bell

F22 AWS Horn (Slows loco down)

F23 Coach Door Slams (Alternate/Latching)

F24 Wheel Tapper (Latching)

F25 Westinghouse Pump (If Fitted on Locomotive)

2 minutes ago, Stringfingerling said:

You should have a function list, if not ask for one.

F16 is heavy load which gives you heaver chuffs when you are simulating a heavy load from start or simulating going up hill.

It will keep on heavy chuffs right down to standstill when decelerating or using F5 and F6 braking.

Wiggy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

It tells you what you want to know, probably quicker than asking the question on RM Web.     Charlie.

Function Key . 

F2 Whistle 1

F3 Whistle 2

F7 Injector.  (Latching)

F8 Automatic Uncoupling.  

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F19 Random Sounds On/Off

F20 Aux 2

F21 AWS Bell

Thank you for the list Charlie.  I had looked at the website (I assume you mean your site) ,  I thought that the helpsheet would be the place to look , but you had told me that there wasn't one available to download for the steam projects.

Edited by Stringfingerling

23 minutes ago, Stringfingerling said:

Press EXPN (2nd button on the bottom row) & it will display the status of all functions.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

Function Key . 

F2 Whistle 1

F3 Whistle 2

F7 Injector.  (Latching)

F8 Automatic Uncoupling.  

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F19 Random Sounds On/Off

F20 Aux 2

F21 AWS Bell

I've reset the decoder by entering a value of 8 in CV8.   The loco is now not responding at all - no movement, no sound or firebox glow.   It is on the correct track etc - the powercab is able to read the values from the decoder ok, and I notice in CV8 it shows a values of 151 even after entering a value of 8.  Is that normal?   I ran through the set up routine to check if everything looked ok and there was nothing glaringly obvious to me that was wrong.

18 minutes ago, Stringfingerling said:

Further; The loco still chuffs to a halt.  I did a further reset and left all CV's at their default values - chuffs to a halt in shunting mode and normal mode.  :(

The only way it will do that is if F16 is on.

Are you sure you are not turning F16 on by mistake???

How do you know it does it in shunting mode??

What function are you using for shunt mode??

If you start from standstill straight up to 2/3 speed does the chuffs drop to normal running or stay heavy when you reach 2/3??

Wiggy.

Edited by wiggy1
Added question

11 minutes ago, wiggy1 said:

The only way it will do that is if F16 is on.

Are you sure you are not turning F16 on by mistake???

How do you know it does it in shunting mode??

What function are you using for shunt mode??

If you start from standstill straight up to 2/3 speed does the chuffs drop to normal running or stay heavy when you reach 2/3??

Wiggy.

Pete the Elaner, whose post is in this thread, explained to me how to view which functions are on, so I can see now that F16 is not on.  The only function button I've pressed is 1 to turn the sound on.  Shunt mode is 17.  
The chuff is always heavy.
This may or may not be significant but I'm having to use much higher regulator settings to get to a normal speed than on any of my other locos.  These are a 14xx and 4575 from Tower Brass with zimo decoders, a Lionheart 57xx pannier and Dapol 14xx with (I think) a zimo decoder.   Having said that the Mogul will start at a low speed step.

Edited by Stringfingerling
grammar

What happens when you turn off shunt mode?

If the heavy mode is engaged it does not work or should not work in shunt mode.

Shunt mode will reduce the top speed by about 50%.

Also I did not get a reply from my last part of the message 'If you start from standstill straight up to 2/3 speed does the chuffs drop to normal running or stay heavy when you reach 2/3??'

I'll have to think on this one but one thing to try is turn everything off and I mean unplug mains.

Leave it 5 minutes and try again.

Failing all that remove the decoder and send it to me so I can see what is going on.

It could be that the file has got corrupt in some way but I need to look at it to see what has happened.

You can keep trying over Christmas as the soonest you can send it back will be next week.

Try another reset CV8=8 and recycle the power and make sure no other functions are on.

Don't use shunt mode and just try it in normal running.

Avoid changing any other CV's and lets see what happens.

If you need to send it back PM me and I'll send you my address.

Wiggy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, wiggy1 said:

What happens when you turn off shunt mode?

If the heavy mode is engaged it does not work or should not work in shunt mode.

Shunt mode will reduce the top speed by about 50%.

Also I did not get a reply from my last part of the message 'If you start from standstill straight up to 2/3 speed does the chuffs drop to normal running or stay heavy when you reach 2/3??'

I'll have to think on this one but one thing to try is turn everything off and I mean unplug mains.

Leave it 5 minutes and try again.

Failing all that remove the decoder and send it to me so I can see what is going on.

It could be that the file has got corrupt in some way but I need to look at it to see what has happened.

You can keep trying over Christmas as the soonest you can send it back will be next week.

Try another reset CV8=8 and recycle the power and make sure no other functions are on.

Don't use shunt mode and just try it in normal running.

Avoid changing any other CV's and lets see what happens.

If you need to send it back PM me and I'll send you my address.

Wiggy.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I left the loco with the system power off for an hour, then did another CV8=8 reset and left all settings apart from the loco address (5) at their defaults.   I then tried running up to speed step 80 from standstill.  The chuffs are probably a bit softer at that point,  but dropping down speed steps does not switch them off.
Thanks for your help.

Ok,

So I guess you are saying that they do not go into coast/rod clank?

Any chance of a video as a last resort because its looking likely that the decoder needs to come back so we can look at it to see what is going on?

Wiggy.

On 24/12/2020 at 18:27, wiggy1 said:

Ok,

So I guess you are saying that they do not go into coast/rod clank?

Any chance of a video as a last resort because its looking likely that the decoder needs to come back so we can look at it to see what is going on?

Wiggy.

Thanks Wiggy. I'll make a video today or tomorrow . Would you like me to post it here or email it to you? 

Hi Wiggy. 

I tried the loco today and, once again, reset CV8 with value 8 to start again.  This time I didn't change the loco address from the default 3.  The loco coasted properly when the speed step was lowered by at least 5, for example from 80 to 70.  This is the point when I recorded the attached video.  I then changed the loco address to 5 to suit my needs and tried again.  Once more it began to chuff to a stop, though unfortunately I did not record it this time.  Once more, I reset CV8, and it coasted ok when the speed was lowered by 5 steps or more.  I then changed the address to 5 again and it seems to work ok as long as the speed lowered by 5 steps rather than 1.  If it carries on behaving like that that should be fine, but I will be ready to video it if not.

Here's the video of it working ok.  Just before the loco reaches the platform I lowered the speed from 80 to 70 and you can clearly hear the result which seems ok.