NCE Mini-Panel Macros

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

One of the downsides that I find with the NCE Mini-Panel is that each input is limited to 4 actions/steps - 3 plus a link if you want more than four.

I've only scratched at less than the surface with throttle based NCE Macros and never used them on the Mini-Panel where I've only just noticed that the Mini-Panel can have macros assigned to its inputs.

Does anyone know how many commands you can have with each Macros on the Mini-Panel?

Would it be possible to set up (say) four macros all assigned to the one Mini-Panel input?

Is there an upward limit to the number of macros that can be assigned to all the inputs?

One immediate advantage that I can see is where you have the use of part routes duplicated on several inputs, the common part could be replaced by a macro thereby significantly increasing the capacity of the Mini-Panel (although the maximum of 30 inputs will always remain).

Hi Ray

The macros used by the mini-panel are those generated by the NCE command station using the hand throttle.  You can daisy chain macros together - each macro can have up to 10 instructions but the last instruction (if linking macros together) has to be the number of the macro to link with.  I found it easier to print out a spreadsheet grid to enter manually (using old technology, i.e. pencil) and work out the steps of each macro and then work backwards when entering the steps of each macro (hope this makes sense!) so that the last instruction calls the macro to link to, which now exists.  It also takes a bit of time to enter the macro steps so it is useful to have a script to work from.

That way you can execute one macro which then calls more than nine instructions by linking to pre-existing macros.

So in theory (and I have not tried this yet) you could use one output of the mini-panel to carry out 2 instructions then call a macro which executes x number of steps depending on how many additional macros are called by the first one.

An alternative approach is to put a computer in the system, and use the MiniPanel to trigger a single event (eg. a "software only turnout address").   The software would notice this turnout address called by the MiniPanel, and then perform a sequence of actions.   This could also allow a single input to trigger two different things (eg. a single button which sets something, then push again to un-set it).  

Can be done on a Raspberry PI, running JMRI, so a very low cost and small size computer.    (Though for less than ~24 inputs, don't need the Minipanel, just use the inputs on the GPIO ports on the PI....).  

- Nigel

Hi Guys 

I have used the 4 mini panel entry's to control 4 10 macros stored in the pro system giving you 40 steps on 1 push button 

I have also mixed accessory commands and macros on a single switch this works fine.

If anyone needs help just ask,

I also know that there something in the pipeline with more functionality but still akin to a mini panel due out soon   

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. The information is much appreciated.

I don't need to implement any macros yet but one of the Mini-Panels is getting to the stage where any further changes will push it over the limit. At least now I know there should be a way out without splashing the cash on another Mini-Panel.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

One can adjust the Configuration Setup to allow an Input to run on to the total of 120 steps as I understand it. Could be useful if you only need a few extra steps.  There are several you tube videos explaining this. Look up NCE Mini Panel programming. 

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks.

The problem that find with the mini-panel is that it requires two inputs to be used when connecting a switch rather than a push button which is what I believe the Mini-Panel was originally designed for.

It is very easy to swallow all 15 pairs of inputs this way leaving none spare for Linking to other inputs. At least the use of macros will facilitate minimising the number of Links required thus maximising the number of switches that can be used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2020 at 19:39, Ray H said:

Many thanks.

The problem that find with the mini-panel is that it requires two inputs to be used when connecting a switch rather than a push button which is what I believe the Mini-Panel was originally designed for.

It is very easy to swallow all 15 pairs of inputs this way leaving none spare for Linking to other inputs. At least the use of macros will facilitate minimising the number of Links required thus maximising the number of switches that can be used.

I don't follow this after thinking through it again.   I  use the "flick" switches instead of the pushbuttons & have all 30 inputs available.  One terminal is linked to the common ground in each case.  I usually get these things quite wrong as my understanding is the kind that blindly follows the given advice but the inputs have all been tested (well 20 have) with a little 3 step and work ok. 

• RMweb Premium

I assume that by flick switch you mean a passing contact switch similar to those used to operate solenoid style point motors.

That type of switch is effectively the same as two push buttons, one is activated briefly, like a push button when briefly pressed, when the (flick) switch is pushed one way and the other is activated when the (flick) switch is moved the other way.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ray H said:

I assume that by flick switch you mean a passing contact switch similar to those used to operate solenoid style point motors.

That type of switch is effectively the same as two push buttons, one is activated briefly, like a push button when briefly pressed, when the (flick) switch is pushed one way and the other is activated when the (flick) switch is moved the other way.

Yes thats the type.  But I've just wired up one side of the switch (only becos I couldn't find a flick switch with just one).   Sorry to be rather dense about this but when you say 15 inputs you mean 15 pairs of inputs?  Each pole connected to a different terminal on the Mini Panel?