Underframes LMS and LNER vans and wagons

bordercollie

Thanks to everyone.

I think I understand now. In relation to the kits I have as follows and to be built as unfitted.

a) Brake blocks on 1 side only with the Morton clutch on this side with a lever on the other side which does have a clutch but communicates with the other side by a cross shaft. The Morton arrangement was only needed to do allow brakes to be operated from both sides of a wagon.

b) Independent brakes with a lever on each side working two blocks on the same side but not needing the Morton clutch arrangement as they were not connected and didn't need to be worked from either side

I think I have got it right.

Regards

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, bordercollie said:

a) Brake blocks on 1 side only with the Morton clutch on this side with a lever on the other side which does have a clutch but communicates with the other side by a cross shaft. The Morton arrangement was only needed to do allow brakes to be operated from both sides of a wagon.

This arrangement also with brake blocks on both sides. 

Remember to put the push rods the right way round so that rotating the cross shaft anti-clockwise from the Morton side (which is the same as clockwise from the non-Morton side) applies the brakes. Left above right on the Morton side and right above left on the non-Morton side.

For (b), independent brakes, right above left on both sides. 

Photos for reference! But not this manufacturer's photo!

Edited by Compound2632

• 1 month later...
On 29/01/2021 at 20:20, watfordtmc said:

I think that Bill Bedford item: 'BWF002/4 RCH Wagon Sprung W-irons, 1923 pattern for Oil Axleboxes' would be suitable for springing all the kits you reference, whilst item: 'CES900/4 RCH 9’ Wheelbase Wagon Brake Gear', will provide the brake parts for all the kits except C84 Midland 10 ton Van D664.  Unfortunately, the 10’ Wheelbase brake gear that would suit this kit is shown as out of stock.

My only concern in respect of the brake parts, apart from the fiddly factor, is that I think for anything fitted with the ‘Independent either side lever double block’ as listed in Darryl Tooley’s post above would need you to use two of the etches on the fret.

I am just in the process of building a D1666 using those components. The brake shoe/ push rod assembly is quite easy to fold up. Just solder/glue the tumbler and shoe middle layers to one side first. The arrangement of the gear is intended for Morton type double sided brakes. The only issue is that the half etch detailing on the outer face of the shoes / tumbler is handed so if building independent either side brakes this detail will be on the inside face of the brakes on one side. 

Personally as my layout is BLT with Dingham couplers and no stock turning I'm just going to set the wagon up so that the detailed set are on the normal viewing side.

• Thanks 1