Hornby 67 motor removal

ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

Have a recent Hornby class 67 that runs terribly in one direction and fine the other. Various bad noises come from one bogie, and despite replacing parts and then the entire bogie it is the same. So guessing the issue in the driveshafts (unavailable as a spare ) or the motor. Some dismantling shows violent wobbling of one of the flywheels, albeit bizarrely when running in the OK direction and at the OK end of the loco :scratchhead:

So with no driveshaft options, I have a new motor and flywheels. The question is how do I get the motor out. It is held in place by two rubber mounts that appear to be press fitted via round lugs on the bottom of the mounts into the chassis. What is the motor removal process:

1) press motor mounts out of the chassis and then push back in?

2) prise motor out of mounts with them remaining in situ?

I assume the former but keen to hear from anyone with experience in case I break something......I am also assume this form of motor mounting is not unique to 67's?

Thanks in advance :good:

67mount.jpg.c1eebc76d06e9d768d6489e0e5b2da36.jpg

Hornby Service Sheet 290 shows the simpler motor support for the cheaper all wheel drive version

Service Sheet 383 shows your heavyweight all wheel drive version where the motor supports look to be located by pegs at the bottom into the chassis frame. They may be glued and/or may drive out from below.

• RMweb Gold

Have now managed to repair the 67 with normal running. What appeared to be a problem on one bogie was in fact a flywheel well out of balance, the one on the opposite end from where the noise came from. A new motor & flywheel solved it. The steps below reference Hornby Service Sheet HSS-383B for the later (not Lima) 67's.

Removing the motor requires the following steps:

Unplug multi-plugs at each end of the PCB and the 2 smaller ones on either side PCB (with brown/black wires - this is for Day/Night switch). No need to remove the switch or fuel tank.

Unscrew the Contacts (no.12 on the sheet, part no. X6513) mounted on the end of the casings that sit over the bogies

Remove the Frames mounted over the bogies (unscrew 2 screws on each, one end has the internal grills attached)

Remove the Bogies by unclipping the bracket at the top of the bogie (part X6506), these hold the bogie to the chassis and keep the driveshaft and worm gear in place. Note bogies have wires soldered to them.

Remove the PCB by removing 2 screws - the motor wires are soldered to the PCB, so if replacing the motor unsolder the wires (red wire in pic above, Black wire on the other side)

Remove the driveshafts from the flywheels - pull gently and UJ will unclip.

Take a photo of the motor position. Gently ease the flywheels upwards at each end to work the motor and mountings out. The motor and mounts are push fit and are not fixed in place by screws or anything. Ensure the motor is replaced in the same longitudinal position as before as there is no positioning on the mountings or chassis for the motor location.

Refitting is the reverse. Take regular photos of the wiring runs during disassembly otherwise you may have to pop the body off another one during reassembly!