Eileen’s Emporium - for all those things you haven’t a clue where to buy

Andrew D

• RMweb Gold

I know Eileen’s is common knowledge to about 95% of the good folk who use this forum. However, as a relative noob myself, it can sometimes be frustrating when attempting a project you’re following from a fellow RMWeb member, only to get lost at the mention of some obscure item ‘from my spares box’ or ‘found under a copy of Railway Modeller December 1974 on my workbench.’ 

I myself want to improve my Hornby 0-4-0s and hadn’t a clue where to get things like Phosphor Bronze strips, micro strip, handrail wire etc. 

All these things and more I could get from Eileen’s Emporium. Not only that, during Lockdown they have reduced their free postage threshold to £50 because we cannot collect at Exhibitions at the moment. 

I put in a convoluted and mixed up order yesterday morning. 

With FREE postage, it arrived to my house in the Outer Hebrides at midday today, all neatly and securely hand packed. 

Outstanding service, and a shop I am VERY grateful for. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered with EP for the first some about a month ago, nice easy website to order with until......

Items selected (3) clicked shopping cart to pay, I didn’t want to create an account so opted to go with the guest checkout option.

Only PayPal was available as an option to pay, I don’t really like PayPal but as it was the only option I had no choice. Entered my address and details etc, clicked pay within seconds job done....or was it ? I’m set up for one click payment on PayPal so instant orders aren’t unusual.

No confirmation email came through to my inbox, or junk after several hours. I didn’t think to much about it to be honest as I’d never used them before I just thought maybe they didn’t issue them.

As the even pushed on the lack of confirmation email was playing on my mind, so I logged back onto EP website so see the three items still sat in my shopping cart.

I think it’s reasonable to assume taking into account the lack of email, and instant payment process i hadn’t actually paid for the order first time round.

As the items I’d ordered where out of stock literally everywhere else I’d looked it was quite a stroke of luck to find them on EP, so I paid again via the quest checkout option as before. This time the process went via PayPal, which confirmed my thoughts I’d not actually paid last time hence no email confirming.

Order placed, and email confirmation received. 

The next morning I check my online banking app to see X2 payments from EP to the amount I’m expecting.

I logged back onto EP to see I’ve actually two orders for the same items, hence the two payments taken.

Reading through the terms to check where I stand as I’ve obviously made an error somewhere I see there is a significant restock fee, starting to panic now (okay I know, but I didn’t want to have to pay a fee for EP to cancel an order their website took in error).

I phoned them shortly after 1000, no answer. My thoughts where get in contact ASAP so the order wasn’t processed thus hopefully avoiding the restock fee. I phoned throughout the morning and afternoon with still no answer.

I eventually made contact via social media, and explained the situation. The person I “spoke” to said the items weren’t in stock anyway, no notification on the website saying out of stock though. I explained the situation, which was met with a response I’ll cancel the orders but consider it a favour tone. One payment was refunded, but the second I had to wait 10 days for as PayPal held it in suspension for some reason at EPs end.

Overall not impressed, website doesn’t show items in stock or not, terms state no monies taken until item is in stock ready to go but due to being forced to use PayPal that isn’t an option, ability to contact and speak to them is on the day I called was impossible. Generally attitude towards customers with significant “restock” fees I mean how much hassle is it to place three boxes back on a shelf ? Website which isn’t clear on how to order, and having to pay via PayPal.

Both payments where refunded, but I won’t be going there again.

I’m sure there’ll be 1000s of happy customers, but it’s how they deal with the handful that really matters.