Removing rail joiners from Peco O gauge Settrack

Lord_Woody

I've just bought some O gauge setrack to make an O gauge micro layout, I need to remove a rail joiner from a couple of sections of track so I can make two isolated sidings. The instructions which came with the points suggest the rail joiners are 'welded' on, but also suggests using normal rail joiners should the originals work loose, which makes me think they can't be fixed that firmly, but on the other hand I'm a bit reluctant to start pulling at them in case I damage anything. Anyone removed them and do they come off easily?

8 hours ago, Lord_Woody said:

I've just bought some O gauge setrack to make an O gauge micro layout, I need to remove a rail joiner from a couple of sections of track so I can make two isolated sidings. The instructions which came with the points suggest the rail joiners are 'welded' on, but also suggests using normal rail joiners should the originals work loose, which makes me think they can't be fixed that firmly, but on the other hand I'm a bit reluctant to start pulling at them in case I damage anything. Anyone removed them and do they come off easily?

They come off easily enough..,

When taking the track apart, it's not unusual to find both joiners on the same end of one piece!

I did think I'd ask Peco tech. support, for anyone interested this was their reply.....The rail joiners on Setrack are spot welded in place. To remove a joiner please hold the rail and sleeper base firmly in the fingers of one hand, and then with the other hand use a pair of needle nose pliers to carefully peel off the joiner which will break the spot weld. This will destroy the joiner, but leave the turnout undamaged. Do not be tempted to try pulling the joiner off as this will result in the rail being pulled out of place and will result in the turnout being unrepairable.

Edited by Lord_Woody
typo