Ryedale Mill

woodyfox

Hi Steve, 

It was a yard length of OO gauge that has had the centre part of the sleepers removed. The two rails with just the outer part of the sleepers were then turned inwards. I tacked them in place with Hornby track pins. I used roller gauges to achieve the 32mm gauge. 

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, D6775 said:

Looking good, looking forward to watching this develop. I am assuming its not portable being a roundy roundy?

Hi Al, 

Thanks. 

The baseboards are permanent. The roundy element will allow some good running in and an opportunity to watch trains trundle by. 

Normal operating will use a sliding board affair to swap trains around. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

What is the room size & any track plans please Mr Fox ?

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig, 

I don't have a plan drawn out. It was a matter of making turnouts to my minimum radius with a general idea of a plan then laying them out in the best places with the least compromises. 

I did look at Scarborough Rd Jcn, Norton as a prototype to copy, but it just wouldn't fit with the radius allowed (5'6").

The layout is in my concrete garage. It gives a max dimension of 15'6 by 13'6. Even this size is restrictive in O gauge for a roundy. I couldn't get a double track in with good storage and a station. Junctions that have tracks diverging away are a no-no too. Everything as an allowance built in for the temperature extremes etc. 

Baseboards are 12mm ply on a 3x1 main frame and frequent 2x1 batons. It stands on legs at 48" high for good views. Everything is painted in Cupranol fence preserver. Buildings will be either very robust or over-wintered indoors as will signals. I use a Gaugemaster walkabout, so electrics will be fine too. 

I've laid the track at about 5 degrees so I've allowed decent room for summer expansion. 

Cheers 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

With warmer weather track laying has been almost completed. 

IMG_20210217_164230.jpg.9370076a88e56dd2a03a17db3ca0838e.jpg

The above is a ceiling down view of the western end with the Mill yard. The boards are 2 feet wide on the left here, widening to 3 foot on the right through the station area. The short white strips are bits of double sided tape holding the wire in tubes point controls. These will be under scenery eventually. 

IMG_20210217_164201.jpg.d1ec15104ea6af5c17176d8dd37783cd.jpg

This is the coal drop siding that runs 'behind' the station up platform. It rises up 9mm over a 900mm length. 

IMG_20210217_164110.jpg.8ff5debe476993cab63979249035a159.jpg

This is the view looking east through the station and shows the coal drops area. The coal siding will continue through the lowered board. The coal drops will be 7ft high and will be accommodate 4 to 5 HTO/HTV's. 

IMG_20210217_164406.jpg.30c052d47ad5bb8653b2606c9796d205.jpg

This is a view from the station looking east. Coal yard on the right, with the oil siding accessed from the turnout on the left. The area to the left in this view will depict the original yard area with goods shed, livestock dock and crane base. This was closed in order to accommodate the new oil facility. This will be depicted as a new modern (for the period) facility and will supply the widely dispersed and remote communities in the area with heating oil that are not connected to the new North Sea gas network. 

Here's a map showing how Ryedale Mill sits in the railway geography of the area:

IMG_20210218_062034.jpg.fa5c23f7ed173b11b539a15ed8d777bc.jpg

Most of the lines shown were closed by about 1964/5. I will model them as remaining open with basic DMU services of 4 trains per day each way between Malton and Thirsk and the same for Whitby/Pickering to York. These will cross paths at Ryedale Mill to allow connections. There will be an extra train to/from Malton on Thursdays as it's market day. 

There will also be summer timetable loco-hauled services to/from Whitby to KX the portion joining/dividing with a Scarborough portion at York (the original 'Scarborough Flyer') on FSO. There will also be Sat and SuO trains to/from Glasgow and Newcastle to Filey Holiday Camp via Driffield and Bridlington. 

A daily pick-up goods will visit the coal yard and Mill sidings as required. The oil train will run once a week in the summer and upto 3 days a week in autumn/winter as demand rises. The winters on the Norh Yorkshire Moors used to quite severe most years. 

A regular daily train will run through carrying limestone from the Yorkshire Wolds at Burdale Quarry to Teeside for the steel industry. This was a regular occurance upto around 1958. Apparently the contract ended when the quarry owner retired following a failure to respond to the steel maker to move from a rock size of 6" to 2". Two years notice of the change was given but was not responded to and the last reason to keep the line open faded away. 

The limestone trains will use 27t tipplers hauled by Thornaby 37's but will be limited in length due to heavy gradients between Malton and Burdale. 

IMG_20210217_164131.jpg.005eec75f53658c59820975cd90d6a9a.jpg

This is the view of the oil siding and commencement of the single line to Pickering and Malton in the foreground. The single lines will be signalled using electric token block. 

Next, finish the storage sidings, wiring and testing. 

Cheers 

• Like 9

Hi,

Love this and following with interest since moving up north in 1990 spent more than a few  a hours reading up on the really interesting railway history around the East/North Yorkshire regions.

I live near Burdale and think the line from Driffield to Malton had a really interesting history with the stock and stations.

Nice to see at least a stretch has some track on it again at Fimber.

Regards

Julian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi,

Love this and following with interest since moving up north in 1990 spent more than a few  a hours reading up on the really interesting railway history around the East/North Yorkshire regions.

I live near Burdale and think the line from Driffield to Malton had a really interesting history with the stock and stations.

Nice to see at least a stretch has some track on it again at Fimber.

Regards

Julian.

There's a photo of one of the Burdale quarry workings from the early 50's in a book i have that shows a rake of around 8 ex-LNER 21t steel hoppers being used. I wanted to go for the 27t tipplers to add some variety (and it's feasible). It's a shame the tunnel at Burdale is in such a poor state. That has prevented any chance of an extension westwards. 

4 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Thanks for that, what book is that picture in? I watched a recent video on YT of some chaps walking up to the first collapse from the Burdale end!

This one - pp 18. Thirsk to Burdale empties in 1958 hauled by J39 64938 according to the caption. It's accredited to the Ken Hoole archive. 

IMG_20210219_124702.jpg.60cd281589cb06478ad60c7d883493ed.jpg

Cheers 

Edited by woodyfox
Forgot image!!
  • Like 1

Activity in the Ryedale Mill area is stepping up! Local trainspotters report seeing 3 TTA's appearing overnight in the oil siding and a BR  brake van being left in the coal yard. 

IMG_20210227_171748.jpg.4756cae0c5ea858731a57ee5951f7737.jpg

IMG_20210227_171734.jpg.2e8fe222eedc618563206b6380dfce3f.jpg

Wiring and snagging is complete. 31103 was used as the key testing loco. This is the heaviest and least tolerant of irregularities in the permanent way. A few issues were found that have been overcome and all runs well. Tomorrow will see more test running in order to satisfy Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate. 

I 'll post some pics of events.. 

Lastly, a view not readily available due to poor access is this one from the blocks on the Mill shunt neck looking back towards the Mill sidings and station west end:

IMG_20210227_170427.jpg.c4fbea2756396fe80d39cb068b1f2259.jpg

Cheers 

• Like 6