Heljan Class 31 in 0 gauge

Keith I have one and there are only the 6 screws but it has bits that fit into the axle slots and one of my bogies had a very tight fit, the other one just fell off and one of the idler gears fell out! as I had the loco on its side. To get the tight plate off I used a small slim screwdriver to leaver the end wheels up, once off I filed the upstanding lugs to make them a slide fit in the frame. I had to take mine off to repair the split drive gear but as I didn’t know which bogie had the split gear I had to remove both plates, it was not the first easy to remove plate that was the problem!

regards mike 

• 11 months later...

Having purchased a Dutch liveried O gauge Heljan 31 at the Electric train show back in October I started  to look at the numbering possibilities.The Rail Express magazine 126 of November 2006 with its Retrospectrum article on the Dutch livery was the place to start (I think an excellant idea for a magazine!)

Anyway what I needed was a loco without the Doncaster works vertical radiator slats modification, without the raised roof fan cowling, with headcode boxes at both ends and most importantly without a headlight (at some point). This last point was the hardest to satisfy but having cross referenced the list of candidates in the article with a trawl of fickr I came up with the following examples

As I didn’t want to add a ETH socket but did want a depot plaque I settled for 31238 which had BR emblems and a Crewe diesel leaping cat cabside plaque

This is my loco after finishing - once funds allow a sound chip will follow - note the driver and his rather recumbent colleague!

20220131_184427.jpg

20220131_190855.jpg

Edited by mikeford2002uk
  • Like 1