Killin Branch Timetable info required

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any info on the freight workings on the Killin branch in the 50s/60s? I have a copy of the 1948 Passenger Timetable, which probably didnt change much until closure.  

image.png.97e32f14179de3d38b8526e9d85475c3.png

My new layout, Loch Doune, is loosely based on Loch Tay, so I'm copying the Killin branch TT.

What minimal freight that went down the branch would likely have been dealt with on an as required trip basis, no shortage of time for the branch loco to nip up to the junction and collect a couple of wagons, indeed some passenger trains ran as mixed, with the odd van attached.  Locomotive coal would have been the only other "regular" freight, once or twice a week perhaps?

Jim

All the pics I have seen of the branch had mixed trains.  Although I am thinking that as the 16T mineral wagons for the Loch Tay Shed coal (and return ash)  were unfitted they may have ran with loco / wagon / brake.  And I think there was a run round loop at the shed, or certainly the 16T mineral wagon lay there on the adjacent road at the shed from pics I have seen.

The only increase in freight traffic on the branch would have been the vans with the cement for the hydro electric construction when BRS lorries were used to transport the cement from the Killin yard to the site - as shown in the contempary film of this operation.  [Alisdair]  

• RMweb Gold

As the timetable indicates, there were no services to Loch Tay after the start of WW II, so I assume you won't be modelling the timetable that exactly… There was a run-round loop at Loch Tay but it was used mostly to dump the loco coal wagon—normally the loco ran round at Killin by means of "gravity shunting". The loco shed was at Loch Tay, though — although not big enough for a 4MT 2-6-4T.