Raspberry Pi + JMRI

melmerby

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

They are just a tad slower than I expected

I wonder if there is something else running causing you to run out of resources, e.g. memory.

Might be worth running some diagnostics to see what's going on.

My Pi400 has 4Gb RAM and the use of a USB Flash drive improves disk speed performance, but even with JMRI running and lots of windows open, I'm using less than 1Gb RAM, which is what your Pi 3B+ has. I don't get any long pauses.

Yours, Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I got this running staisfactorily and was mounting it complete with a wireless keyboard and small monitor on a pull out tray under the layout.

Clumsy me then shorted out a couple of the expansion pins wilst I was trying it and phut! The Raspberry has lost it's Pi!.

It's totally dead, doesn't do anything so It's for the bin:(

Funny really as I have accidentally shorted out Arduino pins several times and never killed one but this was instantaneous.

I have now ordered a Pi 4 to replace it, complete with a plastic case so I don't short it again.;)

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Clumsy me then shorted out a couple of the expansion pins wilst I was trying it and phut! The Raspberry has lost it's Pi!.

It's totally dead, doesn't do anything so It's for the bin:(

Been there, done that, got the Raspberry Pi paperweight!

Two of the voltage rails are on adjacent pins on the expansion connector.  They must not touch.  At least they are relatively cheap to replace...

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2021 at 00:08, 87004 said:

Been there, done that, got the Raspberry Pi paperweight!

Two of the voltage rails are on adjacent pins on the expansion connector.  They must not touch.  At least they are relatively cheap to replace...

The voltage regulator chip near the USB power socket has failed, there are no voltages being supplied to any of the circuitry.

Unfortunately due to it's construction there doesn't seem to be any recoverable parts.

• RMweb Premium

JMRI set up now working fine with the Pi4, noticeably quicker than the 3B.

I had to invest in a new PSU due to the USB C power socket fitted to the Pi 4.

Edited by melmerby