SUGAR BEET AUTUMN - another new Lockdown project

swisspeat

Hello everyone,

Last week I ventured out into a cold garage to "find" a baseboard that I built an N scale model of part of the Wisbech and Upwell on some years ago. That layout has been gathering dust propped up against the wall so it was time to cut the baseboard into two to see what I could build on those.

A few months ago a model shop gave me a Kibri modern warehouse kit that had been returned to them partially built with this line "see if you can do anything with that or feel free to assign it to the bin". On opening the box I realised that the windows had been fixed in place incorrectly etc etc. Anyway 5 days later the newly reworked warehouse has a new home on one of these baseboards.

The scene will be Swiss Autumn complete with pumpkins in the fields, sugar beet being loaded etc. 

Here is a couple of taster pictures representing a weeks work.

Lots of detailing work still to be done plus catenary etc.

I was hoping to revisit CH again this Spring but I have decided that building Swiss layouts has more certainty attached to it.

I hope that you are all well.

Kind regards to all,

Peter

RM 2 L.jpg

RM 1 L.jpg

• Like 19

Thanks Ben. I hope Heljan are going to produce some of those modern sugar beet carrying wagons with 3 small containers.  On this project I will still have to use my fleet of Eaos wagons.

UPDATE

The pumpkins have been harvested, lots of weeds have grown today, a couple of trees have been planted and some more pics will arrive in the next day or so.

Pete

• Like 2

Much more interesting than Wisbech & Upwell!

A few years ago at the end of our summer holiday my wife and I were heading cross country towards exiting Switzerland at le Locle and we went across country near Payerne. For about 5km our route was the same as a series of hand made signs pointing to a 'field market'. Whe we reached the 'market' it was a farmer's field by the road laid with rows upon rows of just harvested squashes of all types - for sale to all comers.

Edited by Gordonwis

Last sugar beet activity I witnessed was at Chavornay in 2019. ex SBB Em3/3 growling around shunting rakes of of the new containers. 

I recall lots of knackered graffiti - covered Eaos at Cossonay a few years ago.

Edited by Gordonwis

Thanks very much Gordon.

I visited Wildegg in Oct 18 and 19 to be greeeted with loads of sugar beet traffic. lots of fun watching SBB Cargo Tm 232 moving the wagons beneath the loaders.

This field is next to the line.

As you say Long Live the Eaos! Here is one I loaded up last month.

Peter

RM 5 L.jpg

RM 3 L.jpg

RM 4 L.jpg

• Like 8

Two bits of work done today.

1. Added some autumn, almost leafless, shrubs and tree.

2. Erected the Viessmann catenary masts. Not accurate Swiss ones but I find the Viessmann system works well and can easily be removed and reused in the event of making another new project in the future.

The backscene will be changed once I can get to CH to take some photos.

I will apply a thin black wash to the pumpkins to tone them down a little.

Peter

RM 6 L.jpg

• Like 7

The wires are up. I used a combination of Peco and Sommerfeldt this time and have not painted then grey as I usually do.

The autumn tree was a piece of sea moss, sprayed black then a few autumn coloured leaves added and sealed with extra hold unscented hairspray.

I used the Busch ploughed field for the first time. So long as it is carefuly blended in it looks ok.

The little project is nearly finished. Next week I will assemble my colection of figures and rolling stock for some cameo picture shots.

Peter

RM 12 L.jpg

RM 7 L.jpg

RM 8 L.jpg

RM 9 L.jpg

RM 10 L.jpg

RM 11 L.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Mixed up sightings at Cossonay and Chavornay in my earlier post (easy to do: both are on the same line, only 10 mins apart by fast train and both ending in ...nay) sorry!

Earlier post corrected.

This post is also in memoriam of the Travys ex SBB Em3/3 which were recently scrapped

Here is Chavornay on 16 December 2019:

chavornay - 1.jpg

chavornay - 2.jpg

chavornay - 3.jpg

chavornay - 4.jpg

chavornay - 5.jpg

chavornay - 6.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

I've got round to finding the Cossonay shots - it was actually back in 2009 for the Eaos, so 10 years between my Cossonay and Chavornay observations. The Em3/3 at Cossonay could well be the same as at Chavornay, but the Cossonay shots were grabbed as a 'bonus' as I was there for a quick 'arrive - shoot the diagrammed Ae6/6 - depart' move.

Here is the train I went to phot (Ae6/6 11440 on the afternoon Neuchatel - Lausanne Triage freight):

MyImage_155.JPG

and here are the Eaos (one grabbed through the window of my departing train):

MyImage_158.JPG

MyImage_164.JPG

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much Gordon.

I will put this on my next autumn visit to CH, whenever that might be!

Aarberg is one of the two main sugar refineries in CH. There are hourly BLS stopping passenger services between Lyss and Kerzers. 

Lots of shunting opposite the station with full and empty wagons being moved. Used to be handled by SBB Cargo, now seems to be in the hands of Sersa.

A few pictures to enjoy...

RM 28 L.jpg

RM 29 L.jpg

RM 30 L.jpg

RM 26 L.jpg

RM 27 L.jpg

• Like 4

Further to earlier in this chain here are the basic steps to making those autumn trees.

Prize the excess material from the sea moss, spray the armatures black, when the paint is dry use a few squirts of extra hold unscented hairspray (any supermarket own brand is fine - a lot cheaper!)  then carefully sprinkle on a mixture of autumn leaf effect from Polak, Heki etc. Gently does it on the leaves...

Pete

AUT T 10.jpg

AUT T 4.jpg

AUT T 5.jpg

AUT T 6.jpg

AUT T 7.jpg

AUT T 16.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I generally do apply less ballast around points than on the mainline the ballast around one of the points on this little project it seemed to have settled too low. I will remedy this later but in the meantime I have made a cameo scene out of it with a few figures, small piles of ballast, spare sleepers and bags of fresh ballast plus a couple of spare pieces of rail on the mainline. 

Before and after pictures attached:

RM 9.jpg

RM 10.jpg

• Like 6