London after the war

denv

I have been hours today looking at layout on the internet , I have found the below layout , Just what I want to do my -self , I thought I would share my find with you all .

My link

I really nice dirty layout , whis I could aford one in 00 gauge

Happy Modelling

Certainly the buildings shouldn't be too expensive, as long as you don't count the cost of your time - Scalescenes I think.

hi

i think they are metclalf , looking at the buildings he has used ...

happy modelling

• RMweb Gold

hi

i think they are metclalf , looking at the buildings he has used ...

happy modelling

Much the same could be done with Scalescenes though, couldn't it?

Hmmmm..... As a London modeller myself, I would say a lot of the architecture doesn't really suggest London. Red brick buildings are not so common because yellow brick was far more prominent, especially for railway and industrial construction. By the end of the war, brick in most of central London would be a dirty brown colour, especially on railway infrastructure. A nice layout though.

Here's some London modelling:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6737&do=view_album&album=726

Looks more like a Northern mill town to me!

That said- if you fancy modelling early postwar London yourself on a buget, card kits can still play a part- Street Level models and Metro models both spring to mind for example. There's also a place for some of the ancient bilteezi kits, particularly the 1930s factory and the low-relief georgian town houses.

London architecture is certainly very distinctive, so its well worth doing a bit of research!

Will

Looks more like a Northern mill town to me!

That said- if you fancy modelling early postwar London yourself on a buget, card kits can still play a part- Street Level models and Metro models both spring to mind for example. There's also a place for some of the ancient bilteezi kits, particularly the 1930s factory and the low-relief georgian town houses.

London architecture is certainly very distinctive, so its well worth doing a bit of research!

Will

I agree about Street Level Models. Jim and Charlie have now done a very wide selection of London buildings in printed card. Jim used a lot of these kits and specially produced buildings for Sidney Street, which was a London layout, on the exhibition circuit until fairly recently.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6737&do=view_album&album=728

By the end of the war, brick in most of central London would be a dirty brown colour, especially on railway infrastructure.

The bits still standing, that is. An essential resource for any post-WW2 London layout would be the bomb damage maps published by the London Metropolitan Archives in 2005.

Cheers

David

Let's just reiterate: any areas near railway lines in London were prime targets for the Luftwaffe. Even if they did not get the lines the surrounding area could have substantial damage - which lasted up to 20 years later if it was not "important" land. As others have said I just don't get the feeling that "this is London".

I'm not criticizing any modeling ability, however.....

Best, Pete.

And if anyone wants any modelling inspiration for immediate postwar London scenes- try watching the Jules Dassin film (of Kerch's novel) 'Night and the City' (1950)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042788/

It's all about a desperate small-time crook, but the setting is superbly shot- even includes a chase through a night-time railway yard, amongst a lot of other East end locations. One of my favourite films actually, and not just for the cinematography

And if anyone wants any modelling inspiration for immediate postwar London scenes- try watching the Jules Dassin film (of Kerch's novel) 'Night and the City' (1950)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042788/

It's all about a desperate small-time crook, but the setting is superbly shot- even includes a chase through a night-time railway yard, amongst a lot of other East end locations. One of my favourite films actually, and not just for the cinematography

Many thanks for the tip, I shall certainly seek to add this to my own library. I had intended to file references to "Hue and Cry" for many location scenes of bomb damage in the City and Wapping areas, and "Passport to Pimlico" for location scenes of bomb damage in Lambeth.

I feel a tad embarrased to rain on the parade of the OP, but others have made the point well. The model scene does not look much like London and even less like 1949.

Dr Glum has given us a superb taster of a similar theme at this link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/8855-scenery-module-with-roadways-workshops-and-underbridges-oo/

and "Sidney Street" is also completely in character.

PB

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

I must agree with the general consencuss that it looks nothing at all like post war London. Yellow brick is the predomimant building matieral and where is the bomb damage? London and its railways and industries got a hell of a bashing from the Luftwaffer. Indeed large areas were completely flatened and these areas were cleared and prefab estates replaced the lost housing stock and even industry. Railways were heavily bombed and missed and these bombs fell on the surrounding houses and industry if they weren't already a primary target. No it looks nothing like post war or even pre war london.

It looks like a pre war northen mill town that has never seen the scourge of war. However it is still a very nice peice of modeling and maybe we should concentrate on that.

Regards Lez.Z.

Archived