Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

17 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Numbers 1-7 were built at about the same time as the railway, number 7 is closest to the station and is an elegant double fronted detached villa with bay windows, numbers 5 and 6 are a pair of semi-dethatched villas, again with bays, while numbers 1-4 are a terrace of four smaller houses. All still survive, pretty much unaltered. I am wondering if the detached house was for the Station Master and the lesser ones for other members of the station staff? (nb these numbers are what Google claims but it may well be that they are really numbers 3-9, based on the other buildings!)

Always up for a detective challenge over coffee, Google Street view (rotated towards the houses and zoomed) reveals that 3, 4 and 6 all sport their house numbers, just as you quote in the two first lines above. Therefore #7 is the end house.

image.png.a7e2c6c59593bf715ca8835351a40956.png

Google Street numbers are notorious for their accuracy (lack thereof). The local Petrol station used to regularly field questions from Bus travellers looking for 602 Doncaster Rd having got off where instructed, some 4km short of their target (at 1100)! Such is the faith in the Map that one person I tried to help would not believe me! 

BTW will #5-6 be getting their roof fixed soon? 

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On my layout the houses in Station Road would have to be low relief in some form. None would fit entirely on my boards. No 7 would be mostly there, 5 & 6 just half there and only the fronts of 2 - 4. No 1 would be entirely missing. And given they are on the front edge I am not sure how much they will add for the viewer who would simply be faced with their blank rear faces. But on the other hand Station Road looks rather bare without them. More decisions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2024 at 14:20, Andy Keane said:

On that subject do you think the Cornish SRM services always had trailers?

I don't know, is the answer. I suspect that in operation a number of criteria will have affected this. Traffic flows on different days of week and how much this will have varied week by week; versus time/effort  taken to separate the motor from the trailer and reconnect and getting all links etc working. I suspect for much of the time it will have not happened as if the SRMs and trailers were kept running together, then, if they were rostered for a duty, this was a known passenger capacity.  On the other hand, there must have been occasions when a faulty trailer was abandoned to complete the service.  

Sorry for no more info , but I hope your five coach trains are organised for Wednesday.

Edited by Pete Haitch

• RMweb Premium

GWR Steam Rail Motor No.45 at Penzance.  No trailer.  I had another photo of a SRM working into Penzance without a trailer, but I can't find it sorry.

srh1sWM.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Helston Flora Day is usually held on 8th May, unless that date falls on a Sunday or Monday, in which case the previous Saturday is taken.

The picture below should Link to the original source and is second story down. Can't get hyperlink on picture to work so: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc/items-added-on-8th-may-2018-those-added-most-recently-come-first

Flora Day.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a similar 5 coach train from between the wars.

Edited by Pete Haitch