New location

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Mike (Enterprising Western) has alerted me to the fact that I had not altered my profile as I thought that I had. Most of my belongings are still in Hereford but I have been in France for several months now and I am about to move in (Covid transport restrictions permitting) to my new layout room with house, about 30 km north of Limoges and on the Toulouse - Paris main line.

A couple of photos. Weather was fine yesterday but very cold mornings for April.

The two diesel units (single car X73500 and two-car X72500) are reversing on services between Limoges and Gueret/Montlucon. Not so many years ago, it would have been RTGs on Bordeaux-Lyon services. And, at one time there was a through coach to Turin. They seem to take as long to reverse a single-car DMU as was scheduled in steam days!

There was a big depot just down the road with a roundhouse. Sadly demolished.

Strangely, on a line electrified a very long time ago, we get diesel units on local services from Limoges to Chateauroux.

I am looking forward to some trips up to Paris - about three hours with a change at La Souterraine, Chateauroux or Vierzon.

Sorry that some photos are upside down. They are right on the computer file.

IMG_20210413_162200_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210413_170303_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210413_162252.jpg

IMG_20210414_100007.jpg

• Like 10

Bon jour Joseph,

I seem to recall you mentioning leaving the UK last year, I hoped you would take advantage of the withdrawal agreement, as did my wife and I.

I hope you get settled in to France well and have a wonderful life there, if things had not worked out for me/us, I am certain that is where I would have ended up.

Bon chance,

John

La Souterraine.

Known to me as a name on the A20 motorway signs. Our holiday place is 40km SW of Limoges. Nearest railway lined is now a Voie Verte.

Hope you are happy.

We had every intention of moving to France permanently, if not in the Limousin, ( Winters cold and damp), our idea was to sell both properties and move to the Vaucluse region.

2008 intervened, the £ collapsed against the Euro and houses that had been selling in two to three weeks for reasonable money could not be given away in years.

By that time our experiences of high prices, even higher taxes, almost non existent customer service from national companies and the reluctance of a large percentage of French workmen to honour their commitments, had already sent warning signals.

Then my wife became paralysed from the waist down in a 45 period one evening in 2018, six months from retirement, and all bets are now firmly off. As are most of our dreams.

If you think disabled access is sometimes difficult in the UK,  don't get disabled in France.

Bit negative.

I'm sure you'll love it, just as Jamie seems to...and many others.

Our luck obviously wasn't good enough.

• Friendly/supportive 9

On 14/04/2021 at 19:20, Joseph_Pestell said:

Mike (Enterprising Western) has alerted me to the fact that I had not altered my profile as I thought that I had. Most of my belongings are still in Hereford but I have been in France for several months now and I am about to move in (Covid transport restrictions permitting) to my new layout room with house, about 30 km north of Limoges and on the Toulouse - Paris main line.

A couple of photos. Weather was fine yesterday but very cold mornings for April.

The two diesel units (single car X73500 and two-car X72500) are reversing on services between Limoges and Gueret/Montlucon. Not so many years ago, it would have been RTGs on Bordeaux-Lyon services. And, at one time there was a through coach to Turin. They seem to take as long to reverse a single-car DMU as was scheduled in steam days!

There was a big depot just down the road with a roundhouse. Sadly demolished.

Strangely, on a line electrified a very long time ago, we get diesel units on local services from Limoges to Chateauroux.

I am looking forward to some trips up to Paris - about three hours with a change at La Souterraine, Chateauroux or Vierzon.

Sorry that some photos are upside down. They are right on the computer file.

IMG_20210413_162200_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210413_170303_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210413_162252.jpg

IMG_20210414_100007.jpg

Now that's a place to live Joe.

Lucky you...

Gordon

13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Hi Gordon,

Give me a bit of time to get the accommodation ready and it will be great to see you again.

Joe

It's a date!.

I'm slightly surprised to see that the Gueret line still runs!