Hornby B17 Leicester City

Henners84

9 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Thanks, I think I understand. They should be tight (as I just enough to make it 'bite', but no more). Mine were like that but that compromised the running. Now I have loosened them the model runs well but they should be loose at all, they should be 'nip' tight. Having them loose might risk them falling off unless I apply the threadlock. If I'm honest, I'm not keen on doing that to a brand new loco which should have been fine in the first place. Best idea to send it back and ask for an exchange? The person I purchased it from had more than one in stock so hopefully a reasonable one to exchange it for. I just wonder how it got to the state where it was binding as the seller tested before sending and reported it was fine. Took a knock in transit? 

More likely a simple production fault. These are complex models really, assembled from very large number of parts, and a fault bolt or set screw would easily be overlooked by the people assembling them

Good luck whether you ask for an exchange or not, I would be inclined to ask for one. When I looked at the video it never occurred to me that the bolt on a middle driver was tightening up, I was looking for signs of rods touching or piston rod issues.

Cheers.

Edited by robmcg
typo

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

More likely a simple production fault. These are complex models really, assembled from very large number of parts, and a fault bolt or set screw would easily be overlooked by the people assembling them

Good luck whether you ask for an exchange or not, I would be inclined to ask for one. When I looked at the video it never occurred to me that the bolt on a middle driver was tightening up, I was looking for signs of rods touching or piston rod issues.

Cheers.

I need to caveat this by saying I'm not an expert, but I don't think it was the bolt tightening up. I think it was the bolts being the appropriate tightness but on each rotation something is not completely true which has resulted in one point on the rotation being overly tight. I can fix by loosening the bolts (removing the tight spot). However this results in (i) very loose bolts that will eventually wear free (unless I apply that substance referenced above, but does not quite feel right to need to do this to a brand new model) and (ii) the coupling rods do wobble (only really noticeable when looking from above or below) because the bolts now holding them on are so loose. Anyway, I'll tighten the bolts back up to the state I found the model in and ask for an exchange

• Like 1

Silly question time, but are you certain:

1. The coupling rods are on the correct sides?
  2. The cr's are the correct way up?
  3. They're actually the correct rods?
  4. Try and fix one side with all mounting set screws at the same position giving a horizontal straight line - is the other side a straight line as well?  Quartering.

Al.

Bit of a delay with this one because got a bit snowed under with work. Anyway, the quartering is out (see pics of both sides)! This may explain a lot. Anyway, arranging a return to the vendor and have asked for them to send a replacement. 

The other thing that's stands out in the pics is the greasiness on the roof. Never seen this before but I assume it's loco lubricant and the pattern comes from the soft plastic sleeve that sits on top of the loco in its packaging which seems slightly greasy in itself

PXL_20210516_133854105.jpg

PXL_20210516_133916094.jpg