Bad time to start a layout! Based overseas, Got baseboards, controller, trains... but no track!

Hi everyone.
Seems I've not picked the best time to start a layout!
I'm from the UK but working and living in Cyprus (which has no model railway shops and only one semi decent craft shop in Nicosia!) and after brexit, I now have added Cypriot VAT and import duties on any items over £130 from the UK. Some companies are removing VAT UK side... but not all.
I'd thought my best bet was having purchases sent to family in the UK then bring them out with me on trips back and forth but with the ongoing Covid problems (Cyprus not doing very well with cases and vaccinations) I'm really not sure when travel back and forth will be viable.
I've just finished converting the carport into a "big shed" and I'm on with building baseboards, got an ECoS Command Station on route from Germany (lot cheaper with no added duties) but I'm really struggling now with track!
I wanted to go code 75 bullhead and concrete. On reflection I'm going to forget bullhead but still want a mix of Wooden and Concrete lines.
I've a couple of boxes of wooden straights on there way to me but points... supplies seem really low from everywhere in the UK.
From someone new whose only just getting started I've a couple of questions - are Peco in full production? Are these low supplies normal or is this only temporary?
If it's long term, I wonder if it's better to drop 75 and go code 100 before I get too far in? (not that there seems that much more stock but does seem a little more promising)
Naturally before starting on the car port conversion I went crazy buying locos (I'm not allowed near ebay anymore) so I don't want it to be months before laying track and seeing them run!
Great to have found this forum for advice, tips and inspiration! 
Hope anyone can help.

28 minutes ago, 1867Adelphi said:

I've a couple of boxes of wooden straights on there way to me but points... supplies seem really low from everywhere in the UK.

Points may be in short supply at some of the largest on-line retailers, which tend to be everyone's first port of call, but if you look at some of the smaller model shops, you will probably find what you need.

As an example, my local model shop in Edinburgh seem to have the full range of Code 75 Flat bottom points listed on their website - https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/00-H0-Streamline-Code-75.html.  The problem is of course if you want dozens of the same point - they tend to order in stock in single figures rather than the hundreds that the larger shops probably order.

39 minutes ago, 1867Adelphi said:

From someone new whose only just getting started I've a couple of questions - are Peco in full production? Are these low supplies normal or is this only temporary?

I understand that Peco have had production issues and I think a cyber attack last year and due to social distancing requirements, their production line is not as it was before.  This has obviously hit the supply side, but simultaneously, more people seem to have wanted to build a layout and therefore demand for track has increased above pre-COVID-19 levels.  Reduced supply and increased demand is the driver of shortages, but there does seem to be track available - you might just have to look a bit harder than in the past and be patient if something is out of stock.

I'm starting an O gauge LNWR layout in Los Angeles (actually, Burbank).    I got lucky and had almost all the track I needed donated.    But I do need two points and have similar concerns regarding supply.

What looks to be the most painful issue for me is the price of lumber.    The national bank has lowered interest rates to crazy low prices.   People are frantic to buy houses.   There is a massive building boom.   The price of lumber has DOUBLED.    I need five sheets of 3/4" ply, at $80 per sheet.

Good luck.   The advice to try all the small shops sounds good.    Code 75 in 4mm looks a lot better than code 100.   Stick to your guns.

6 hours ago, Dungrange said:

but if you look at some of the smaller model shops, you will probably find what you need.

As an example, my local model shop in Edinburgh seem to have the full range of Code 75 Flat bottom points listed on their website - https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/00-H0-Streamline-Code-75.html.  The problem is of course if you want dozens of the same point - they tend to order in stock in single figures rather than the hundreds that the larger shops probably order.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I'll look more towards the smaller suppliers and see what I can find.
Harburn's you put the link to look great!
They automatically take the VAT off (which is like getting blood from a stone with some bigger suppliers!) and their international delivery charges are reasonable! 

Edited by 1867Adelphi

• RMweb Premium

To avoid the import duties and VAT issues, why not buy from one of the European Peco stockists?

I get all my stuff from F B Systems - fbsystems.com - and I would expect there to be no problem in them sending abroad.  Bull head track is common historically in France, so they should hold stocks if there is stock available.

Failing that try Pierre Dominique - pierredominique.com.

Satisfied customer for both outlets.

Edit to add:  Prices are higher than UK prices so don't be too surprised by that

Edited by Andy Hayter