Are Gaugemaster DC controllers PWM?

JA_Bucks

I was going to build myself a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) DC controller, but the price of Gaugemster's GMC-Combi isn't much more than I can buy the parts. I asked them if it was a PWM type of controller, but they replied that the only PWM controllers they do are those with feedback (which I don't want). I would have thought that ALL "electronic" controllers use PWM outputs nowadays. Can anyone shed any light on this please or suggest another make of PWM controller. Thanks

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JA_Bucks said:

I would have thought that ALL "electronic" controllers use PWM outputs nowadays. Can anyone shed any light on this please or suggest another make of PWM controller. Thanks

Perhaps you are thinking of digital rather than analog electronics? There's not a great distinction between the two. Even a controller that's largely digital can have an analog DC output. The opposite is also true and it's possible to make a controller that outputs PWM for low speed operation and automatically changes to smooth DC at higher voltage outputs. It's also possible to make a feedback controller that's purely analog and only ever outputs smooth DC.

Confusing, in'it? :D

I have a Combi and it is a simple full wave controller with no active feedback. For such a simple controller it works well, although for some mechanisms it may have a large "dead band". That is, you have to turn the knob up to 30 or 40 before anything moves.

I have recently built 12 DIY DC controllers of various designs and "tested" them to see how my N gauge motors respond. These are a 5pole (Graham Farish GP tank) , a Dapol 45XX and a Kato tram with coreless motor. The Dapol and particularly the coreless motor were unhappy with any PWM controller, although most of these had feedback. Slow speed, smooth, jerk free performance was most important for me, so the "Cooler Crawler" design was my best because it worked nicely with all my 3 motor types

Anyway, have a look at the 852B Varipulse. It is available built, kit or buy parts and make it all yourself (I did this on vero board).

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM

I've think I've seen another recommendation for the 852B on this forum.

Cheers,

Mark