ESU question

Michaelaface

hello, n00b question here, and I think I already know the answer

but to install sounds on an ESU decoder do I need the ESU lokprogrammer hardware? or is it possible to use my DR5000

I only ask because there are sounds I'd like in some of my H0 locos, and I cannot find those sounds for sale preinstalled on decoders anywhere, but I can find the sound files available for free online from ESU

failing that, anyone know where I can get a DCC sound decoder for a Railjet/RH1116 locomotive?

Hi,

I am quite sure that to upload sounds onto an ESU decoder, you will need a LokProgrammer!

You will also need the correct version to suit your decoder, I only have a very basic early LokProgrammer that can only program the first series of decoders, V1 and I think V2.

My friends have a later LokProgrammer that has subsequently been upgraded so it can program V3, V3.5, V4 and I think V5 - note that it needed upgrading to deal with V5.

Finally, you would need to learn how it’s all done, something I’ve forgotten and need retraining!

It may be easier to just purchase the decoder you require, sorry.

John

4 hours ago, Michaelaface said:

hello, n00b question here, and I think I already know the answer

but to install sounds on an ESU decoder do I need the ESU lokprogrammer hardware? or is it possible to use my DR5000

I only ask because there are sounds I'd like in some of my H0 locos, and I cannot find those sounds for sale preinstalled on decoders anywhere, but I can find the sound files available for free online from ESU

failing that, anyone know where I can get a DCC sound decoder for a Railjet/RH1116 locomotive?

If the sound project you require is available to download from ESU, then any reputable ESU Loksound retailer will be able to sell you a blank decoder to which they will load the required project.

You would then just instal this to your model as usual.

They may charge a small fee for doing this or they may see this as part of the decoders sales 'experience'. Ask a few dealers who will be able to tell you if they offer this service and how much extra it will cost to have this project loaded.

If you are not in UK but in EU, then try German or Austrian retailers to avoid the post Brexit potential problems.

Best regards,

Paul

You will need a Lokprogrammer, but any dealer will be happy to upload a sound project for you.

I purchased one a while back, they are a great bit of kit and actually well worth the money as you can easily tweak a loco’s settings.

Stay safe, 

Neil

38 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

You will need a Lokprogrammer, but any dealer will be happy to upload a sound project for you.

I purchased one a while back, they are a great bit of kit and actually well worth the money as you can easily tweak a loco’s settings.

Stay safe, 

Neil

The ESU Sound decoders are a bit hard to find at the moment, but we have some due in next week.

The Reblow will be Free 'IF' you buy the programmer, the blank decoder would be £85.00 with a Free File loaded on it.  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_84&product_id=476

Charlie DCKits-Legomanbiffo