Hornby Sir Dinadan

By contrast to the Hornby parts bin King Arthur, I picked up this week at auction a Southeastern Finecast (ex-Wills) N15 stablemate of Sir Dinadan, a rather nicely built example of 799 Sir Ironside. The irony of the advent of superdetail R-T-R is that really nice kitbuilt locos of the same subjects can end up going for very little money compared to what they would have originally cost. The hammer price of this example was £60, so even with commission it's at least half what a new R-T-R model would cost, and this example really does look like a King Arthur!  

IMG_20210806_122131.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 22/06/2021 at 18:24, cypherman said:

Hi Hroth,

I did keep one of the tenders from the Sir Dinadan. But it is really too small. I bought an 8 wheeled tender for a the Bachmann Sir Francis Drake for one i repainted and the second one here has a tender from  Schools class engine. The Schools class tender is about 1 cm longer than the one that comes with the Sir Dinadan. Well worth the extra cost. See what I mean from the pictures. Plus get rid of the awful connector for the tender and replace it with one from the Triang/Hornby Hall. I trimmed quite a bit off the footplate of the BR S15 and got it to couple up closer. Looks better. I will probably do the same at some point with 746 Pendragon.

The tender is the same (less rivets) as the one originally supplied with the 3F 0-6-0. It was under length even for that (and the wrong design - only one 3F had this pattern tender and it wasn't 43775, which had been scrapped a couple of years previously into the bargain). For some unknown reason they lined the thing (and the 0-6-0T). The tender from the Bachmann (or GBL*) N class 2-6-0 is much better.

* This will need proper wheels, but that isn't really much of a problem

• Like 2