70ft South wales stock gangways

I'm slowly grinding my way through 9 various BSL/Phoenix  70ft South Wales coaching stock.

I'm lost on gangways.

Would I be correct on thinking the bow ended stock have suspended gangways and the flat ends have scissors?

If that assumption is correct would the one flat end/one bow end coaches have corresponding gangways?

7 hours ago, chrisf said:

My first thought, ie before I reach for the books, is that the build date is a bit early for suspended gangways.

Chris

The pics in Russell's books show suspended ones but most pics are in BR times which has me confused. 

• RMweb Premium

Way back in the darkness of history, I built a couple of the MAJ kits and I do vaguely remember that the gangways on the flat and bow ends were different, but I couldn't tell you what the differences were, the coaches have been stashed somewhere so safe that, I can't remember where to look and are now beyond my period of interest.

Have a look at the John Lewis article in GWRJ No 17 1996, "The 70ft. 'South Wales' Coached of 1923-1926". Photographs and drawings included.

A quote from the "Great Western Magazine" The ends of the coaches fitted with "Buckeye" automatic couplers are bow-shaped, but those with GWR gangways are square, with no turn-under".

Photo of 4601 shows scissor on the flat end.

E109 No 7601 has a "Pullman" gangway with automatic couplers and drop down buffers.

Richard A

• Thanks 1

The buckeye experiment did have'Pullman' style gangways on the bow ends only. When the buckeyes couplings were removed, standard buffers and drawgear was fitted with suspended gangways. As Wenrash states check the lists in the John Lewis articles for actual coaches as not every bow end was part of the buckeye experiment.

Note if making the BSL kits, some coaches had a flat at one end and bow end at the other. Again check the lists. The MAJ kits had a little more information supplied along with a train make up diagram. 

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1

Well I've purchased the relevant/recommended GWJ.

Just gotta wait for it to cross the Atlantic. 

I need a rest after drilling literally hundreds of holes for hinges, handles, door handles and hand rails, oh and holes for shell vents!