LNWR/LMS signal box colour at Birmingham New St?

Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am currently scratchbuilding an N gauge model of the LNWR's Signal Box No.5 at Birmingham New St and need info on the colours of the uprights and crossbeams on the cream/white cladding.  Anyone know what colour they were?   I am building the box as in the 1950's but the problem I have is the original No.5 was virtually destroyed during the bombing in WW2 and was rebuilt, possibly as an LMS Emergency Signal Box.  This meant that the lower level brick portion was replaced with cladding boards, so I don't know what the other colour that surrounded the cream was finished in.

Pre-war LNWR No.5 Signal Box that was virtually destroyed by bomb in 1940.

2096310333_Untitled-130b.jpg.89caced2f55f7e06e75b6549c09da372.jpg

Rebuilt 1940/41 possibly as an LMS Emergency Box type.

1329578817_Untitled-119a.jpg.5fcf8e5425939392869ba3d73f0eda70.jpg

image sources - warwickshirerailways.com

I have the cream colour for the cladding but not sure about the dark frames.

cheers,

Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Peter.  I didn't even realise that there was a dedicated subject on the matter.   Assuming that the signal box at New Street was an LNWR box then I shall go with your reference of stone/cream and dark brown.

Mike

Wasn't aware of that incident.  Coping with such a box suddenly not being there must have been a big problem!  They were quite quick at filling in holes and replacing track after raids, and some sort of service might be feasible using flagmen, also I suppose some train services could at least divert to enter from the other end, but even so they probably had to disconnect slots etc.

I would have thought it would need to be a direct hit to take out the brick base.  However as the replacement is the same size and apparently on the same spot, I'm thinking the lever frame must have survived in reasonably good order, so perhaps the job was mainly replacing  the structure ?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Wasn't aware of that incident.  Coping with such a box suddenly not being there must have been a big problem!  They were quite quick at filling in holes and replacing track after raids, and some sort of service might be feasible using flagmen, also I suppose some train services could at least divert to enter from the other end, but even so they probably had to disconnect slots etc.

I would have thought it would need to be a direct hit to take out the brick base.  However as the replacement is the same size and apparently on the same spot, I'm thinking the lever frame must have survived in reasonably good order, so perhaps the job was mainly replacing  the structure ?

It is noted that some 40 levers in the frame, the instrument shelf, block instruments, telephones, batteries, relays and other equipment were totally destroyed.

Here is the text from the warwickshirerailways.com

lnwrbns_str1911_text.jpg.10986376bc8cf95a056b2793f6023e1b.jpg

I am trying to find a copy of Richard Fosters series, especially the the one dealing with the post war period but not had any success on that.

These views show how far I have managed to get with my little 2mm/N gauge vignette.

bns_27_templot_templates.jpg.f4840d3c32ea05b3552abd4dc65720c4.jpg

first pieces of track added, plus more work done on the Golden Eagle pub.

bns_28_track_sleepers_laid.jpg.21a57d2a96970ac6de333e0c3ffe77ad.jpg

The water tower, across the tracks from the signal box and beyond the turntable, is being constructed from card.

bns_33_water_tower_a.jpg.cb878f3deee78a83b1241a7d5cc1a6bd.jpg

MIke

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 2