If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

OO gauge GNR Coaches

Frappington Jct

Perhaps a bit of a long shot this but I didn't think it would do any harm asking. I'm looking for 2 or 3 Great Northern Railway coaches in OO gauge, either 4/6 wheelers or bogies. I'm working on a very limited budget (hence the fact this is a long shot!) and can only really afford to pay up to £30 total - I'm trying to put together a small train for my Dads old Kitmaster Stirling single as a birthday present, which will include a motorised van of some description which puts limits on what I can spend on the rest on the train. Happy to take on a restoration project or kits, as long as they have an underframe or a full set of components (my skill stops abruptly at scratch building underframe!)

Many thank

Edited by Frappington Jct

Hi Edwardian,

Don't worry I'm very aware of the unrealistic nature of my budget! The only reason I asked at all is that I saw (and missed out on) a pair of 4 wheelers in need of a fair bit of work available for £15 each on the Model Railway Club online shop about a month or so ago, so didn't think it did any harm to just ask here. I'm very aware of the high price of pre-grouping coaches/modelling in general and do have a back up plan involving attacking some Ratio GWR 4 wheelers, but like I said, I didn't think it did any harm to ask given I have seen some in budget.

• RMweb Gold

Much as I like to be an optimist I don't think you'll get what you're after unless you find an altruistic modeller.

I produce my own etches for GN 4 & 6W stock and your budget would barely cover the cost of 1 set of etches as you have add to wheels, buffers etc.

I think your best bet is knock something together out of the Cheap Hornby 4 wheelers  finish them in teak and ignore things like the roof.

Bogies coaches are too late for No1 but the early Hornby short teak coaches make good starting points for some early GN bogie stock, again there are lots of compromises, I pick them up on Ebay and never pay more than £6-8 for them (I usually pick up lots of 3-4 for £25-30)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A agree with Chris. Go on eBay and get yourself some of the Triang clerestory coaches. Cut them down and replace the roof with plastic sheet. That is absolutely the cheapest way to do it and a very acceptable one at that. I've seen some exceptional models made using this same process.

Matti