Scalescenes/Plasticard hybrid Terraced Houses

• RMweb Gold

I already had a couple of the superb Scalescenes terraced houses kits and wanted another set to fill space created when i extended the radius of the curve and built new platforms. Rather than using the standard kit i wanted something with a bit more texture and detail. i decided to use the Scalescenes kit as the main structure but face it with Slaters styrene sheet. I used the 4mm dressed stone sheet. I upgraded the roof using York Modelmaking tiles, styrene rod for guttering/downpipes, tin foil for lead flashing and York front doors. Painted the sheet with vrey primer first, then picked out random stones with a variety of greys, greens etc then brushed over AK rubble weathering powder to tone it down. Added last touches include washing line, clothes/sheets from Rizzla/tissue paper, dustbins and other bits and bobs. Even added clothes pegs to the sheets on the line!!!

20210804_070159.jpg

20210804_070211.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work.

Did you have to change the size of the door apertures to allow the York doors to fit?

Are those the Scalescenes windows by the way, or the Brassmasters replacements?

Presumably the Slaters embossed plasticard is glued to a card sub-structure?

I'd be interested in your views on the York slates. I was very interested in using these myself, but then a friend got some and when I measured the thickness of them, it seemed to approximate at well over 1/2 an inch, as opposed to a paper printed Scalescenes strip, which was certainly half that thickness (and consequently more in keeping with the scale 'thinness' of slates), so I returned the York slates to him and used printed Scalescenes slates, the weathering on the ones that I am using is very good (also from the terraced cottages kit).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Captain, kind of you to say so.

The doors come in different sizes, but to fit these ones i opened out the door apperture to fit.

With using the plasticard texture, the card inner layer needed to be cut 1mm bigger on the 4 sides for the doors and windows. To make space for the lintel and cills i cut an extra 1.5mm top and bottom, extending slightly on the width. 

I then glued the card to the plasticard sheet using Deluxe card glue. When dry, i then cut the plasticard 1mm less than the opening in the card and glued a 1mm sq styrene rod section to set the window or door frame back slightly. The windows are the black framed ones from the sheet he provides normally used for translucent sheets. I glue the sheet to thin card and cut the frames out using a scalpel. Colour the edge with a black sharpie helps hide the card. 

The lintels and cills are 1.5 x 2.5mm styrene strip. Turned flat for the lintel and on the edge for the cills.

When glueing and cutting the sections of card, you need to make sure you have sufficient over lap for the corners, or you could mitre them if you are able to. I butted them the same as you would the normal way.

I like the York roof tiles, but i agree they are quite thick for 4mm modelling. The card they use is probably .5mm. On the other terraced kits in the pic i used the printed tile. Without cutting in between each tile, they do just look like strips of paper, and not easy to get straight. The York tiles are pre-cut and in my opinion, easier to use and keep straight. Very pricey though!!!

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...