Hattons have more details

7F-200-009 - BR grey - B951841

7F-200-010 - BR bauxite - B951260

7F-200-011 - BR bauxite - B953501

7F-200-012 - BR bauxite and yellow - B954768

7F-200-013 - CAR - Railfreight grey w/ coal sector markings - B954781

7F-200-014 - ZTO - Civil Engineers 'Dutch' grey & yellow - DB951767

7F-200-015 - CAR - Railfreight red & grey - B954561

Prototype photos of a number of the vans can be seen on my site. at the moment the easiest place to see them is a few photos into
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded But searching by number is also possible.

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

They have arrived.  Thanks to @Nick G for pointing out that the real B953501 had grey ends on the verandah which is something Dapol haven't captured  and is also something I had not seen before but having looked through @hmrspaul gallery this livery wasn't unique. I did think about renumbering mine but have plumped for painting the end grey instead.

Nice models but not a huge step forward from the initial batch. I think all the new ones have issues with livery and details so you need to do a bit of modelling to get them correct. Here is one I did earlier!

CA0-B953501.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 4

Quite nice models, interesting putting them next to a slaters kit built one, the dimensions are pretty much identical.

The biggest problem I can see with these - which you can't unsee once you have! - is that the side handrails should be one continuous piece not three separate ones as they have modelled. They are going to be a pain to correct, I've left mine at the moment as I dislike doing handrails! 

Edit to add, be careful with the corner sidelamp brackets they are very fragile, I've already broken one off 

Edited by 101
  • Agree 1

The most noticeable 'fault' is the totally unrealistic rainstrips. A few old LNER vans had these but my photos show they used simple straight angled strips, and BR continued to do so - although the direction of the angle varied. 

At least the triple handrails are correct for some versions - the shadow on this shows this well https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan500/e205a2732

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

The most noticeable 'fault' is the totally unrealistic rainstrips. A few old LNER vans had these but my photos show they used simple straight angled strips, and BR continued to do so - although the direction of the angle varied. 

At least the triple handrails are correct for some versions - the shadow on this shows this well https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan500/e205a2732

Paul

Yes I agree  Paul that some had the triple handrails but they were the early diagram built ones, and as far as I'm aware none of those were air piped? And are not in the number range Dapol have painted on the models.

You are right too about the 'eyebrow' rainstrips, I never saw any like that either, rainstrips were just simple wooden battens, and especially if the van roof had ever been refelted/canvassed the wagon repairers would just nail on new battens on at whatever angle they fancied! 

(This is also applies to any wooden roofed vans)

I currently have a couple on the bench - with a slaters built one behind - 

20220613_170027_copy_1167x525.jpg.ca84d8c831ff77790b3bd629fb4890f6.jpg

These are still very much work in progress but shows how i have altered the strips on mine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 101 said:

interesting putting them next to a slaters kit built one

I still prefer Slaters stuff slightly for appearance - the planking groves are more subtle particularly on the box vans. Given their age now they really were terrific kits.

Where Dapol really score well though is their running qualities. Even with home made compensation units my kit built stuff isnt anywhere near as good as Dapols.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

4 hours ago, 101 said:

some had the triple handrails but they were the early diagram built ones, and as far as I'm aware none of those were air piped?

I think dia 1/500 was the LNER batch that was built by BR and all had short running boards?

I think personally i'll do the roof but live with this as a faff to sort.7

Edit: There are some later 1/504 with full running boards and triple handrails on Paul's site.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e2259c05

and at least 1 roller bearing van 1/507 with them:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507/e38c97c5f

prototype for everything!

Edited by Hal Nail
new info

31 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

but live with this as a faff to sort.

Unfortunately I will probably agree to do the same, as although it really bugs me, I hate doing handrails and it took me absolutely ages and many tries to do them on that slaters kit above

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2022 at 12:53, hmrspaul said:

Not the easiest thing to see so just to confirm, was the standard as built arrangement to have straight strips, starting closer together at the ends and sloping down toward the edge of the roof at they got towards the main van body? 

I've shaved off the Dapol ones but struggling to find a really clear 1950s photo.

12 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Not the easiest thing to see so just to confirm, was the standard as built arrangement to have straight strips, starting closer together at the ends and sloping down toward the edge of the roof at they got towards the main van body? 

I've shaved off the Dapol ones but struggling to find a really clear 1950s photo.

No idea. What you describe is common but there are some with a continuous strip, curved for the entire van. I wasn't there, it's 75 years ago. There are two in this picture with similar, but neither would be what I consider to be common. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506/e2432cdeb  Every batch of these vans has differences as it developed, and I don't believe we even know which were unfit, piped or vacuum braked when new. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Found a photo after trawling through pretty much every book, taken at Torrington in 1964 - so could still easily be a repair by then - and it was something like this.

Im going to leave off the longer strip tho as just looks clunky.

20221016_091302858.jpg.59c59265fb6e7aa02cbcd3c928fafbc8.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Found a photo after trawling through pretty much every book, taken at Torrington in 1964 - so could still easily be a repair by then - and it was something like this.

Im going to leave off the longer strip tho as just looks clunky.

20221016_091302858.jpg.59c59265fb6e7aa02cbcd3c928fafbc8.jpg

Ignoring the central strip I think what you have done is the commonest arrangement in later years. But when it was introduced I have no idea. 

Paul

• Like 1