First time removing decals... Time for a repaint? Advice needed.

Hey guys.    So, what I'm attempting to do is re-name/re-number a Hornby GWR 42xx,  to 5239 'Goliath' as preserved.  

The first step was to remove the decals, as I want the 'GREAT WESTERN' lettering without the big gap in the middle.    After researching methods of removing decals on RMweb, I decided to go with cocktail stick/enamel thinners.    The results are... not great. :

IMG_20210916_100132_025.jpg.c05924454b87ceb6a54f543dcdc214e6.jpg 

IMG_20210916_101607_685.jpg.8fe96a1038b8b26fe3de48f7dfa327ff.jpg

IMG_20210916_101639_581.jpg.7fb526eca055d3ad553ddfae11cfa4db.jpg

My first question is,  am I now looking at a complete re-paint?    (Potentially a good thing, as I find the Hornby finish very dull.)

If I am to re-paint,  how would I go about preparing the affected area prior to painting/priming (ie - sanding)?  Or do I need to completely remove all paint from the model first?

Thank you for taking the time to read, I look forward to your responses...

I would remove the old number first, as that seems to have been the primary motivation for the work.  

And yes, I would be doing a repaint, though I wouldn't fancy the complex lining.

Location of the nameplate strikes me as odd.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/5239-at-kinswear-on-the-dartmouth-steam-railway-august-2010.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I would remove the old number first, as that seems to have been the primary motivation for the work.  

And yes, I would be doing a repaint, though I wouldn't fancy the complex lining.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/5239-at-kinswear-on-the-dartmouth-steam-railway-august-2010.jpg

Thanks for the reply Michael.  

Yes,   a re-paint is in order.    I have just given the body a quick spray of primer to see how the tank sides look,  and it looks good enough to me.  Have just ordered a can of Railmatch GWR green. 

IMG_20210916_115845_283.jpg.9a38e47b852821cf55f5ea4807134a51.jpg

I have the etched nameplates/numberplates for 5239 Goliath.  The location of the nameplate is a little odd.  Haven't figured out how I am going to attach the nameplates to the loco yet.        

I visited the Dartmouth steam railway this past weekend and took plenty of photographs of Goliath for reference.

IMG_20210911_102406_974.jpg.9146436a91155330bba4e8036606f71b.jpg

Coincidentally,  10 years ago to the day, my wife and I got married on the Dartmouth Steam Railway.  5239 Goliath hauled our wedding train from Churston to Kingswear.  The train featured the Devon Belle observation car.    Trying to recreate our 'wedding train!'   

• Like 1

For patch painting I use Railmatch tinlets. They do several shades of GWR green according to date. With these you could probably get away with just painting the tank sides. I removed the "Battle Zone" tampo from a Hornby 08 with a fibreglass pen, with very  gentle pressure, and it left the paint underneath unmarked. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DrStroganoff said:

Coincidentally,  10 years ago to the day, my wife and I got married on the Dartmouth Steam Railway.  5239 Goliath hauled our wedding train from Churston to Kingswear.  The train featured the Devon Belle observation car.    Trying to recreate our 'wedding train!'   

You'll have to get your good lady 3D scanned in her wedding dress, and yourself in a monkey suit

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/body-scan/

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I visited the Dartmouth line in the mid-1990s. I seem to recall small prairie tanks with names?

One way to dodge the complex lining issue........OK, yes, it wouldn't look quite so attractive!

Class 47 1602 passing Bristol Temple Meads towing a rescued 5239 to its new home on 2nd June 1973. One of those 'right place, right time' moments. This was the only such move I ever witnessed so I thought you may like to see it (an Instamatic photo which looks like it needs some tidying up, which I can't do at the moment.....)

293166050_730602_D1602with5239Bristolnpz.jpg.db27415b794b3d6271be2aa54a339497.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In case anyone is interested,  here is how my attempt at 5239 'Goliath' (in preserved GW livery) turned out...

The lining was challenging!  There are a couple of dodgy joins.  I used HMRS pressfix transfers and Microsol decal solution.   I think the result is passable, certainly at a fair viewing distance!  

The only serious bodge I've made, is that I have spaced the 'GREAT WESTERN' differently on either side.  And, they're not quite straight on one side.  That'll teach me to be attempting such a task after a couple of pints...  

The body has been finished with Humbrol Clear gloss,  and the smokebox and cab roof are matt varnish.

I also painted the wheels matt black, and the connecting rods with Railmatch Oily Steel.

The photos aren't great, the green is a bit darker.    Anyway, quite happy with my first crack at lining.

IMG_20211018_101647_799.jpg

IMG_20211018_102018_321.jpg

Edited by DrStroganoff
  • Like 1