Windows 10 v Templot Download

Suffolk Dave

I wrote here of my wresting to get Templot running on my Mac

I did get it going OK but there seemed to be a few temperamental issues that made it a bit fiddly. Anyway, I've since been loaned a laptop loaded with Windows 10. Excellent! I thought, this is just what I need and better still it's saved me shelling-out out nearly 50 quid for the Crossover software.  

So there I was, laptop connect to the web and starring at the 'download' button on the Templot website, one click and all I'll be away in the world of curviformed turnouts. Like hell I was!

Windows 10 decides it will block the download and gives no indication of how or why. OK I'm not too familiar with Windows, being a Mac chap, so I'm off to the internet to discover what's happening. Most of the 'how to' pages made little sense and best thing I could do was turn off the Firewall etc and try once more. But again 'computer said no'.  By now the air is blue and I'm spitting red hot tacks and shouting obscenities at Bill Gates as though he was in the room. I gave up and had some lunch. 

Later, while sitting in a darkened room retuning my chakras, a possible solution drifted into my consciousness. I returned to my trusty Mac and copied the Templot .exe download file on a memory stick. I then stuck it in the rear of the laptop with the grace of a thoughtless lover and hoped it made Windows 10 wince. The .exe file was duly copied on to the laptop and 'double clicked'. Templot loaded and is now running!

...but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.    

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Suffolk Dave said:

So there I was, laptop connect to the web and starring at the 'download' button on the Templot website, one click and all I'll be away in the world of curviformed turnouts. Like hell I was!

@Suffolk Dave

Hi Dave,

Rule no.1 -- if you have problems with Templot ask on Templot Club forum -- that's what it's there for. :)  https://85a.uk/templot/club/

On the Templot download page:

https://85a.uk/templot/companion/installation.php

Scroll down and click on:

templot_loader1.png.b575541a9bb49285d7c9fc28bc35502c.png

99% of all Templot loading problems are caused by 3rd Party antivirus programs -- which are completely unnecessary on Windows 10. Folks will insist on installing the damn things, but they cause more trouble than they cure. Windows 10 has its own antivirus program, Windows Defender, which works just fine -- and doesn't object to folks using Templot. :)

Martin.

• Agree 1

Hi Martin.

Thanks for commenting again.

I looked over the 'problems' pages but nothing matched what Windows 10 was showing. In fact, it showed very little except a small dropdown box that said the .exe file was being "blocked because it may harm your device". 

You surmise correctly though, the laptop does have McAfee loaded on it but even when I disabled it I couldn't get the download to work. 

However, the result is a positive one. By 'physically' moving the file from my Mac with a memory stick I've now got Templot up and running on the laptop.  

I'm now looking forward to getting to grips with Templot, a far more worthy task than wresting with the operating systems!