Operating Instructions for DCC Sound Fitted HO Bachmann Spectrum Cat No 84507 C&O Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation with Medium Tender

Talbotjohn

Hi.

I have just bought a used Bachmann Spectrum HO C&O 2-8-0 fitted with DCC sound. As an unboxed used model no detailed instructions relating to the operation of the sound system were included. The loco looks good, runs well and the sound works fine. Despite only have an old Lenz Compact DCC system (bought 2002!) I have found that F0 turns on the headlight, F1 turns on the bell and F2 is a chime whistle. Not sure what F3 and F4 do yet. That is the  Function selection limit of the Compact.

Ideally I would like to see the actual Bachmann instructions that I imagine will list the various functionality and what F keys to press to get them. (Turning off the sound temporarily  would be a good option to keep some other family members happy).

Does anyone have the sound instructions for this loco in any of its various road names that I could see? A photo or electronic copy would be a great time saver for me. Alternatively perhaps someone can just tell me what the full list of functions are and what keys to press to get them.

Thanks in anticipation

John Rees

• RMweb Gold

The problem might be that any one of several sound chips may be inside - it isn't necessarily a factory installation. I put a SoundTraxx chip in mine in 1999! But the function numbers you have so far listed at least sound as if it may be a US-market chip. F8 would typically silence the decoder, if so. 

From the SoundTraxx website, via a Model Railroader review, it seems Bachmann factory fit a SoundTraxx Tsunami 2 TSU-2200 sound decoder part number 884007 and speaker/baffle kit 810153/810110 to this "sound onboard" model. CV128 is the volume control and CV197 turns on and off sound effects. Altering these is probably well beyond the capability of my Lenz Compact ! Interesting to read in the Model Railroader review how the characteristics of the model can be changed by altering CV values. All new to me.