DCC 009 turnouts on "Hawkesbury".......

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Hi "Narrow-gaugers"

I hope this idea works .......I'm not trying to start a new thread here but to ask those of you with an interest from this forum to engage with my main "Hawkesbury" thread as I'm trying to add an 009 element to the main layout and would really appreciate some informed input.

The objective is to trial 009 as a possible start to a complete layout rethink/rebuild next winter (I generally only model in the winter (Oct-Mar) months).

IMHO it will devalue "Hawkesbury" if this question becomes a topic in its own right so I will keep my 009 questions on there as the mix of gauges will probably be of interest to a wider audience.

If anyone has any spare 009 track and turnouts (4m and 3 mixed turnouts??) so I can play about with track please PM me   

Cheers - this might be the beginning of a new era for me.

J

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• halsey changed the title to DCC 009 turnouts on "Hawkesbury".......
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Despite the intentions of my first post (which I am now ignoring) I'm posting this question on here as it is specifically 009 track related (Peco) 

I have bought 7no Peco (non "setrack", non "mainline") 009 turnouts refs SL-E491/2 - but these are Electrofrog are these OK to use for my purpose (I don't like setrack radii) and if so what needs to be done to them to make them work properly with DCC control - I am not an electrical expert having relied very heavily on RMW to help me with wiring but I am reasonably competent - I know how to wire the 009 zone (I'm pretty sure) but after extensive "googling" the turnouts seem to be problematic ???

As usual all/any help from those much wiser than me will be much appreciated...............

EDIT - I have just found Peco Tech Dept helpline (Andrew) and they have already been very thorough/reassuring with their reply - I have sent a wiring diagram off for my 009 yard

I will obviously post anything of use to others.....................

Thanks

J

Edited by halsey

• RMweb Gold

Peco response (verbatim) and track plan

"The OO9 turnouts when used with DCC would require insulated rail joiners SL-311 on both frog rails of every turnout. The ST-405/406 turnouts plus the SL-E491/2/7 turnouts require no modifications for use with DCC.           SL-E495/6 mainline turnouts have the option to be modified to give a separately switched frog if required, this being done via a polarity switch on the turnout motor. If you are unsure where to place track power feeds/rail breaks on your layout please send a hand drawn track plan of your whole layout, using a single line for a track, and about 1cm between tracks, and we will mark the plan to suit. The plan does not need to be to scale, schematic is fine."

001.jpg