Next 18 decoder and EFE Class 17

Haymarket47

Having bought this model and decoder a year ago I finally got round to installing the Next 18 chip. The lights at one end will not display and the motion going one way is not as smooth as the other.  I am using a black Z21.  The loco has been run in on a DC test track and the lights work both ways and it travels both ways with no issues. I believe the decoder can only go in one way so I followed the instructions and direction that the blanking plug took.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if the decoder is faulty. I don’t have any other locos that require this type of decoder so I can’t even do a cross check. One thing I have noticed is that there is a black sponge like material protecting the circuit board from the decoder. In the attached pic you can see this with the blanking plug.image.jpg.2d237fce69facfc13709e811cb3ab2fa.jpg

Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks in advance

Alan

How are you turning on the lights?

With a Next18 decoder it is possible that F0 only operates the lights at the number 1 end (front) of the loco.

F1 and/or F2 might turn on the lights at the other end.

All my Next18 equipped locos have the lights at the front and back of the loco wired separately.

What decoder is it?

Regards,

John P

Hi John P

It’s a Zimo rebadged as a Bachmann. I’ve managed to get the lights working now - all I did was put the blanking plug back  in ran it on DC again to check the lights were still working and then popped the decoder back on. It’s still not great going slow in one direction but better when up at speed. It does seem to run better on DC as send to DCC for some reason.