Range of the BR Class 05 Diesel Shunter on 1 (300 gal) tank of fuel?

BillB

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not really much use for any sort of train work as they  were far too slow - they were limited to 17.8 mph. ....

However, they were used on the Isle of Axholme in that role.

A Scarborough - York train was hauled by an 03 for part of it's journey after the rostered DMU failed at Scarborough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Here we have to decide whether the D95xx were actually 'shunters' ...... by whatever definition ! :scratchhead:

i guess so but there are plenty of photos of them shunting locations like Nailsworth goods yard, disappearing off with the branch trip freight which then travelled up the main line towards Gloucester etc - I think they displaced shunters (in some cases steam ones) on some duties of this sort - but as you say they are not really shunters. 

Edited by MidlandRed

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2021 at 19:24, Wickham Green too said:

Here we have to decide whether the D95xx were actually 'shunters' ...... by whatever definition ! :scratchhead:

As they were designed as tripping locos and had wide footsteps, together with suitable handrails, at both ends they were clearly intended to carry out shunting as part of their work (a Shunter etc could ride on the footsteps).     One was used at one time as the yard pilot at Didcot and various trip turns which they worked involved considerable shunting..

Ah - but were not the BR 204hp design, later Class 03, probably the most suitable shunters for branchline work ??!? :D

[ The great God Wikipedia puts it thus for the D95xx : "The anticipated work for this class was trip working ... capable of being used for shunting duties." ( my italics ) - which I think, with a 40MPH speed, makes them trip locos rather than, primarily, shunters. ]

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - but were not the BR 204hp design, later Class 03, probably the most suitable shunters for branchline work ??!? :D

[ The great God Wikipedia puts it thus for the D95xx : "The anticipated work for this class was trip working ... capable of being used for shunting duties." ( my italics ) - which I think, with a 40MPH speed, makes them trip locos rather than, primarily, shunters. ]

Until the arrival of the D95XX the BR design 204hp shunters (later Class 03) were far and away the most suitable shunter for branchline work because they had the highest available speed among the diesel shunter classes.   The SR 09 version of the 350hp locos were also fairly suitable due to their higher speed than the 08 version (which is why in the 1980s we on the WR went to some lengths to obtain one for a particular job).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...