Best books on the GCR London Extension

If you can find copies, Volumes 2 and 3 of George Dow's Great Central Trilogy, plus his Great Central Album and Great Central Recalled.  John M C Healy's Echoes of the Great Central is also a good read. 

Probably far too may picture books around to single any particular one or two out, and none that I'm aware of that are exclusively pre-grouping (the two by Dow I've mentioned above probably come closest in that regard).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A really fascinating book, if probably not useful for modelling unless you like contractors’ railways, is ‘The Last Main Line’, an album of construction photos. Most of the photos are now somewhere on-line, but the book can be found cheap secondhand, so worth getting. Here’s the online material https://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/routemap?query=&place=&theme0=1&theme1=1&theme2=1&theme3=1&yearfrom=&yearto=

The relevant volume (I think called “Chilterns”) of the old D&C Regional History series is very good indeed on the endless plans and politicking that led-up to the line being built, again excellent background rather than ‘modelling stuff’.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1