OO and N

Hopefully a very simple question. I am looking to build a small industrial layout based on an N gauge one I have seen. Does OO track accurately work out at twice the size on a layout or does it need more room due to point geometry etc? Thanks in advance. 

On 26/11/2021 at 13:41, MartynA said:

Does OO track accurately work out at twice the size on a layout... 

Yes and no.

The yes is that Setrack is effectively doubled, though N gauge first radius at 9" more directly translates to 00 gauge second radius at 17 1/4". The points and crossings as near as make little difference are double the size.

Now for the grey area. 00 gauge Streamline can be considered to be less than double the size by a considerable margin. For example, a large radius Peco turnout in N code 55 is 164mm long, double that would be 328mm but the Peco 00 code 75 equivalent large radius turnout is only 258mm long. A medium radius turnout is likewise also less than double with 137mm for N and 219mm for 00. What this means is that an N gauge medium radius turnout is probably more closely related to a 00 gauge large radius if you are simply doubling the footprint. Yes, the geometry is a little different with N having a shallower angle, but that 2 degrees difference shouldn't make for a major difference.

Ultimately, if you allow for double the size you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear in mind though that things like reach will also double, so make sure nothing is too deep. Also operating wells will shrink (if there is one) and people don’t scale well! At least I seem not to be any good at scaling down. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2021 at 22:40, Zunnan said:

Yes and no.

The yes is that Setrack is effectively doubled, though N gauge first radius at 9" more directly translates to 00 gauge second radius at 17 1/4". The points and crossings as near as make little difference are double the size.

Now for the grey area. 00 gauge Streamline can be considered to be less than double the size by a considerable margin. For example, a large radius Peco turnout in N code 55 is 164mm long, double that would be 328mm but the Peco 00 code 75 equivalent large radius turnout is only 258mm long. A medium radius turnout is likewise also less than double with 137mm for N and 219mm for 00. What this means is that an N gauge medium radius turnout is probably more closely related to a 00 gauge large radius if you are simply doubling the footprint. Yes, the geometry is a little different with N having a shallower angle, but that 2 degrees difference shouldn't make for a major difference.

Ultimately, if you allow for double the size you should be fine.

Thank you so much for the comprehensive answer, it gives me all the information that I need!

On 27/11/2021 at 23:10, njee20 said:

Bear in mind though that things like reach will also double, so make sure nothing is too deep. Also operating wells will shrink (if there is one) and people don’t scale well! At least I seem not to be any good at scaling down. 

That is a very good point about reach and operating wells and I shall remember it. I know what you mean about scaling down as I have put on loads of weight..... I used to be 8lb 7oz! ;)

Edited by MartynA

On 27/11/2021 at 23:10, njee20 said:

Whilst I agree about the problems of reach, so often overlooked, even by some "professional" layout planners, I am puzzled as to why the operating well will shrink. This might apply if you are trying to squeeze a 4mm version into the same space as the N/2mm design, but I got the impression that @MartynA was scaling up the N gauge design to fit into roughly four times the space (2x2) i.e. 3' x 18" becomes 6' x 3'.