Dean BGs on LNER metals

I thought I'd asked this before, but I can't find any trace of a previous query, so apologies if this is a repeat.

I have two images of GWR BGs in parcels/perishable workings on the LNER, most probably on the ECML.   Both look to be lettered so we deduce they're in some sort of dedicated working.

The first is well up the East Coast, most probably between Edinburgh and Newcastle. 

GWR_BG_meat_traffic_poss.jpg.d85284e5f706c4604a2a019ec4006e6a.jpg

The second is clearer - a Dean K15? - and is at Doncaster heading south.   This one raised another question.  You'd expect a GWR van here to be turning right toward Sheffield to go down the GC to Banbury.   This train appears to be heading towards Newark and Grantham.   Does anyone know what traffic this was and where it worked?

GWR_K15_BG_meat_traffic_poss.jpg.d4cab3a944490aa5c67f2a5ea65cdf12.jpg

Both pictures are probably post-1930; the second has one of the last batch of K3s so most likely the later 1930s.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't have it immediately to hand but I have a copy of the GWR Carriage Working Programme for the Bristol Division for the summer of 1947.  As well as carriages, this document also gives details of the workings of vans, siphons, gas tank wagons and other passenger vehicles.  There was a daily van working between Weymouth and Newcastle with a GWR van working one direction and an LNER van on the opposite working.  One of these Dean BGs could very well have been the GW vehicle used as, if a siphon was to be used it would be specified.  Circumstantial evidence suggests that the LNE van on the opposite working was an ex NER six-wheel PBV. I have a photo where one seems to be in the formation of a stopping train near Weymouth and a video clip filmed in 1948 seems to show one at the rear of a GW train near Yeovil.  There are a few photos of these ex NER vans at Oxford which is of course less circumstantial.  This isn't much of an answer to the question but does suggest a reason for a GW Dean BG appearing on the ECML.  And I do have a D&S kit for the ex NER van stashed away so that the working can be modelled in due course!

Hope this is of use.

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was there not a regular rabbit working to the NE from the West Country?  

Plus the Harris' pies and sausage traffic from Calne - often in discretely branded dedicated PBVs and SIPHONs.

As for what came back down the other way in a return working?   I'm sure they would not have let it run empty on a regular running timetable - something would have been found to make the trip back pay.

• 1 month later...

Those of us who have read James Page's book "Rails in the valleys" will know that  M.I.B. is "Dead right". He claimed that it took him years to bring himself to eat a particular manufacturer's products having discovered a coffin on one occasion. 

• Like 1