Tool needed to assist drilling holes through Code 55 sleepers

Hi,

I recently started modeling in N gauge, which is going quite well apart from a persistent problem I encounter when trying to accurately drill a hole in the middle of a sleeper. Currently I use a compass point to make an indentation to stop my 0.6mm drill slipping around but I’ve found this to be a rather hit and miss system.

Any suggestions for a better way to “mark” the centre of the sleeper would be much appreciated 

TIA

Shaun

ps I’d rather not use glue

I would make a simple jig so that ther was no need to make a mark.

For example a piece of at least 1mm plastic sheet about 2mm wider than the sleeper with 1mm x 1mm added to each edge.

This is then drilled in the centre with a 0.6mm hole, and if the length is the same as distance between the chairs, the hole will be centred both ways.

To use place over the sleeper and drill through the hole.

For a delux version add a handle at one end to make it easier to use.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I use a pin/needle in the pyrograve tool I have, then a small drill bit in a pin chuck.

The heat creates a nice dimple whick locates the drill bit in the proper position.

I don't use a power tool as it's too easy for the drill to wander off from the position you want.

Thanks

Phil H

Unless you're very carefully pinning the track could easily distort it leading to much cursing later. I've always used Evo-Stick. It's much easier to lay smooth curves and doesn't distort the track and yes you can adjust the track and if need be list it relay it.