The end of brakevans in 2021

tubs01

Hi all, I read up the other day that the use of brake vans in certain situations was not completely done away with until march of this year, but post privatisation I can only think of EWS have brake vans for propelling moves, but even then I thought that they were withdrawn yonks ago, so if anyone has any info: which freight companies had brakevans, and what were they used for up until 2021? And if no freight companies had brakevans, then where would they get brakevans in the situation where they were needed? Thanks.

The last regular use of a brake van I know of was on the propelling move from East Usk up the birdport branch. That ended around 2014 when the shark was replaced with converted 20ft container on an FAA wagon.

60020 with shark brake van DB 993876 pushing back 6H35 0730 Margam - Birdport down the branch at East Usk Newport 18.09.2014 (1)

(Flickr link)

There's probably a few still on operators books for now but whether any of them are usable is questionable. Propelling moves seem to be the only reason they would be needed anyway.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

The last regular use of a brake van I know of was on the propelling move from East Usk up the birdport branch. That ended around 2014 when the shark was replaced with converted 20ft container on an FAA wagon.

60020 with shark brake van DB 993876 pushing back 6H35 0730 Margam - Birdport down the branch at East Usk Newport 18.09.2014 (1)

(Flickr link)

There's probably a few still on operators books for now but whether any of them are usable is questionable. Propelling moves seem to be the only reason they would be needed anyway.

I can still dream of 20t vans in GBRf and DB :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Hi all, I read up the other day that the use of brake vans in certain situations was not completely done away with until march of this year, 

What you saw was a story about an update to the rulebook that removed the residual requirement for brake vans, it was a paperwork change. There were none in use. https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/brake-van-requirements-removed-from-railway-operating-rules/58655.article