Track for Coarse Scale 00 Models

DickF

I have a quantity of Triang locos and rolling stock dating from the 1950s through to the 1970s.  I started with the Triang grey plastic track, supplemented by the Series 3 track.  I am sentimentally attached to these models and would like to be able to run them on some commercial track currently available – obviously they are analogue control.  I did build a layout in the 1980s with the then Hornby track but I think they had trouble on the points.  Last year I tried the locos on a friend’s Peco Streamline layout and they ran well in the forward direction.  On a piece of test track in the reverse direction however they frequently (but not always) rode up on point frogs and derailed.  So my question is ‘Does anyone know of any track that I could reliably run these models on?’.  I appreciate that the quality of currently available models is vastly superior to that of even a few years ago, and I would also like to run some of those on the yet to be built layout. I apologise in advance if I offend any modellers for whom realism is essential!  Also unsure if this is the right category – can anyone suggest an alternative?

• Like 1

I believe the problem usually lies in the wheel flange depth which was historically rather too generous for code 100 track so tends to bounce on the chairs and might be too bulky to reliably pass between rail and check rail on points. Without modification I fear it may not be possible to get your locos and stock running reliably on code 100 rail. Perhaps you could put a post in the Collectable/Vintage sub-forum? There will be modellers there who will have faced the same problem.

28 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

I believe the problem usually lies in the wheel flange depth which was historically rather too generous for code 100 track so tends to bounce on the chairs and might be too bulky to reliably pass between rail and check rail on points. Without modification I fear it may not be possible to get your locos and stock running reliably on code 100 rail. Perhaps you could put a post in the Collectable/Vintage sub-forum? There will be modellers there who will have faced the same problem.

Post-1963 Triang models are generally OK with code 100 track; it is earlier models that 'bounce' on the chairs. If you want all all purpose track that will cope with pre-63 Triang without modification then Super 4 is probably the best answer - there is a good secondhand market for this and with effort good pieces can be found. 

On 17/01/2022 at 18:01, andyman7 said:

Post-1963 Triang models are generally OK with code 100 track; it is earlier models that 'bounce' on the chairs. If you want all all purpose track that will cope with pre-63 Triang without modification then Super 4 is probably the best answer - there is a good secondhand market for this and with effort good pieces can be found. 

Post 63 Triang is generally ok on peco code 100 track.   Not all code 100, there was some GT track around which I used and Triang bounces along on the GT chairs, but runs fine on Pexo.  Back to Back is too tight for Peco, needs to be 14.2 mm minimum and a lot are less than this.  Often Driving wheels can be eased out, I put shims behind but you can lose the quartering if you aren't proficient.  The two piece wheels can have shims, 8BA washers etc, inserted between the halves if you can get the axles out, they are splined into one half wheel so pull it out don't push it into the loose wheel or break the bogie, I have a 50% success rate.

Those silver seal wagon and coach wheels and one piece moulded wheels have to be binned.  Peco made some even worse OO replacement wheels which are almost narrow enough to fit TT Track.

Peco streamline points are universal so takes the post 63 Triang flanges.   Hornby Dublo, based on 1938 dimensions is not and has shallower flangeways so  won't take the Triang flanges. I believe Farish has the same issue, though the ewarly ones were live frog with a pivoting frog so no frog rail gap.   Pre 1960 Mazak triang wheels can be reprofiled in a black and decker chuck to fine scale even P4 standard if that floats your boat.  Sintered ones, Knurled, well basically, can't,.  They wear angle grinder discs away.

There is loads of Super 4 track out there for peanuts, Most need point springs but a bit of alternative technology money deficient eco bodgery will find a way of keeping the point blades pointing the right way.  The old peco surface mount adaptor base is a good bodge as it had its own spring.

Edited by DCB
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, my experience with Triang is based on Peco, Triang-Hornby System 6 and Lima track. I believe over time Peco Code 100 Universal has had the tolerances tightened, so 1970s Streamline points were probably slightly better at dealing with unadjusted post-63 Triang 

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I believe over time Peco Code 100 Universal has had the tolerances tightened, so 1970s Streamline points were probably slightly better at dealing with unadjusted post-63 Triang 

Agreed, I had (may still have in a box somewhere) 70s universal points.  When I got 90s universal points they had much finer tolerances and I had to adjust back to backs on some locos.  Gut feel is that 90s universal = 70s finescale.

Paul.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1