Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern - into the second decade

Barry Ten

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

picked up in Smiths in Reading the other day - I particularly like the pic of the RS3 on the depot - I am a little surprised that the bridge scene wasn't featured though...

I struggled to get a good picture of the bridge scene. It's awkward to get a camera in at an interesting angle - one of those things I'd know to think about if I did it again. The truss bridges also hide the train when it's on them.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a crop of one of the bridge pictures. The angle of the bridge makes it hard to get much of the bridge, swamp and train into the same frame - but then again, there's no Photoshopping here, other than a little cropping.

post-6720-0-67068800-1409953783.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want some later Southern power, there are a couple of new releases coming up.

Intermountain is doing SD40-2s (4 numbers, order deadline is Sept 30) and Atlas is doing SD35s (4 numbers - I haven't seen the Atlas announcement but they are showing on the Walthers website).

I ordered one of the Intermountain locos because I found photos of it still in Southern livery 5 years into NS ownership.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want some later Southern power, there are a couple of new releases coming up.

Intermountain is doing SD40-2s (4 numbers, order deadline is Sept 30) and Atlas is doing SD35s (4 numbers - I haven't seen the Atlas announcement but they are showing on the Walthers website).

I ordered one of the Intermountain locos because I found photos of it still in Southern livery 5 years into NS ownership.

Adrian

How do you order from Intermountain, Adrian? Is it more straightforward from Canada?

I've always found pre-ordering from the UK a bit hit and mass. The retailers often won't deal with the UK, and the British importers haven't always been reliable in following up on pre-order if you place it through them.

I notice that BLI has some Southern stuff in the pipeline too, include new E units and PA1/B units.

How do you order from Intermountain, Adrian? Is it more straightforward from Canada?

I've always found pre-ordering from the UK a bit hit and mass. The retailers often won't deal with the UK, and the British importers haven't always been reliable in following up on pre-order if you place it through them.

I notice that BLI has some Southern stuff in the pipeline too, include new E units and PA1/B units.

I put an order in through my local hobby shop. I don't know if you can preorder direct from Intermountain, but I would expect them to be available through Walthers - who, as I understand it, can drop ship to any retailer who carries Walthers products.

As for BLI - I forsee an expensive time for me with the PRR M1a/b and the Baldwin Centipedes as well as some PRR freight cars...

Adrian

We could really use some more 4-axle road power in Southern - there's been the odd GP7, 9, etc but not in huge numbers.

Atlas has done GP38s and B23-7s in Southern livery - both are quite nice. Southern really didn't have a lot of GP7/9s as they persisted with the F-units for so long and then went straight to 2nd gen power. I don't believe Atlas has done the GP30, GP35, or U23B with a high short hood, so a lot of the possible early road power isn't available without a lot of work.

They also started to go for six-axle power with SD24s (done by Atlas) and then SD35s (done by Atlas in Southern and CofG).

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Also, I just picked up a couple of the Trainworx 100T quad hoppers in Southern livery. While semi-generic, they are a reasonable facsimile of a standard Southern hopper and are very nice items. They have done them in brown and black liveries (although the black livery is a N&W painting diagram and dates from after the merger).

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a couple of photos of prototypical Southern trains for those who have lots of motive power and very little stock:

4x GP38 (the first three running long hood forward)

1x FP7 (in later black)

1x coach

4x piggyback flats

1x caboose

or

1x GP35 (short hood leading)

1x GP30 (ditto)

1x GP38 (long hood leading)

1x FP7

1x coach

1x caboose

Both pictures are in the Morning Sun book Southern Railway in Color Volume 3 and date from the early '70s. Both are of scheduled trains.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have seen a couple of photos of prototypical Southern trains for those who have lots of motive power and very little stock:

4x GP38 (the first three running long hood forward)

1x FP7 (in later black)

1x coach

4x piggyback flats

1x caboose

From what I can gather, a typical late Southern passenger train could consist of a coach or two, then many piggyback flats - guess where the money was.

From what I can gather, a typical late Southern passenger train could consist of a coach or two, then many piggyback flats - guess where the money was.

That is certainly true from the pictures I've seen. They didn't always overload on motive power, though.

Adrian

Keep in mind... (and for some reason 99% of railfans assume this) ...that just because you have motors in a consist doesn't mean they're online or even running at all.  Even the largest of manifest trains can usually get by with two modern diesels... anything beyond that is pretty much being transferred to another location for any number of reasons... usually for repairs or scheduled inspections because most terminals don't have full-service diesel shops.

Edited by TotalLamer
  • Like 1

Al, if you want one of those Intermountain SD40-2's drop me a PM, I'm ordering one via the local trader of a friend in the USA after payday. My friend is shipping it over to me via USPS, so it won't cost any extra shipping to add another one to the box.

I'll fill you in on paying the trader via PM if you are interested. :)

• Like 1

Keep in mind... (and for some reason 99% of railfans assume this) ...that just because you have motors in a consist doesn't mean they're online or even running at all.  Even the largest of manifest trains can usually get by with two modern diesels... anything beyond that is pretty much being transferred to another location for any number of reasons... usually for repairs or scheduled inspections because most terminals don't have full-service diesel shops.

I agree, but there are photos of this train in both directions with similar consists, so it is possible that the booked horsepower was 7-8000* for the piggybacks (which some days could be a lot more than 4) plus 1500 (the FP7) for the passenger car. Even if they didn't use all the motors, they attached them in case they needed them for the return journey. This was the early '70s.

*4xGP38 = 8000, GP38/35/30 = 6750

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle