Hawthorn Leslie Works Drawings for Corby 16" 0-6-0ST

Does anyone who whether the original works drawing for the Hawthorn Leslie 16" 0-6-0STs still exist, and if so where would they be available from?

I'm looking to get hold of copies of the drawings for the locos that were used at Corby from the 30's up until the end of steam in 1973. Seems like many other manufacturers such as Bagnall and Hunslet have their history and archives quite well accounted for, but this does not seem to be the case for Hawthorn Leslie. I am wondering whether I am barking up the wrong tree and should be looking for the RSH archives seeig as they took HL over in about 1938 - anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,

Stephen

Drawing here (albeit of an oil-fired conversion). Is this the type you were after?

Indeed this is the type, but but ideally I'm looking for the original version, i.e with no oil conversion, bunker and cab modifications etc! Good find though! :)

I am also loking for the spec, i.e weight in working order, tractive effort, working boiler pressre etc - anyone else know this info?

Cheers,

Stephen

Alas most of the RSH and HL drawings whent up in smoke when a fire broke out in the factory. Most of the rest I think are with Hunslet now. The only drawing I know of is the same one as the Flying Pig and also you can print these of if you want to.

######! :) Oh well might be worth contacting Hunslet then to see whether they have any information. When you say Hunslet are you refering t the newly formed company that have started building steam locos again? Might be worth tapping up Don Townsley as well seeing as he is THE Hunslet Historian! Anyway, does the drawing in question you know of have any of the dimentions, or is it just exactly the same line drawing as per the one on the IRS website which Flying Pig provided?

Cheers for the tip-off bout the fire, if the drawings have been destroyed could make my life a little harder, but I'm always up for a challenge!

Stephen

Indeed this is the type, but but ideally I'm looking for the original version, i.e with no oil conversion, bunker and cab modifications etc! Good find though! :)

I am also loking for the spec, i.e weight in working order, tractive effort, working boiler pressure etc - anyone else know this info?

Cheers,

Stephen

Looking at the drawing (which I must have seen before, but don't remember), the alterations from the original build seem fairy limited. The original shapes are indicated by the dotted line on the drawing which seems to accord with photos of other HL/RSH 16" 0-6-0s and the unmodified one in the article. All in all, it doesn't look a bad drawing, ideally, you'd have things like the radii of the cab roof and so on but perfection is hard to find.* I can't do the other bits of info' I'm afraid, but the equation to calculate tractive effort is available here. Going on this Peckett which seems to be a similar size the theoretical TE must be about 20,000lb.

Working boiler pressure would probably depend on levels of maintenance and what it was doing - actually, I've never been sure what 'working pressure actually means since it inevitably varies - but, at a guess, and not an awfully educated one, I'd reckon on something of the order of 180 psi.

Adam

*I've only ever seen a handful of 'modellers' drawings which do this. All, as it happens, were by former Hunslet employee and historian, Don Townsley.

Archived