00 gauge semaphores,

Mike (Meg), I've been following your thread and some of the things you do make my efforts shown above look a little basic!

By the way I also found Finney & Smith to be a good source of brass strip, angle, rod, tube etc.

There's nothing basic about what you do. Those pictures of the signals in situ are great; they look the business and that's what it's all about. Great thing is, Mike, you had a go and they worked out!

Cheers

Mike

At the risk of making this seem like a mutual admiration society - thanks for the kind words Mike.

As Mike Meg and I have stated, have a go you may be surprised at what you can achieve, its a bit like make your own trackwork, after you done it you wonder why you ever bothered with Peco.

At the risk of making this seem like a mutual admiration society - thanks for the kind words Mike.

As Mike Meg and I have stated, have a go you may be surprised at what you can achieve, its a bit like make your own trackwork, after you done it you wonder why you ever bothered with Peco.

This RMWeb shouldn't be a mutual admiration society and I don't think that it is. But it should be a mutual encouragement society. Realistically, most of what is on here is about using and enhancing r-t-r offerings, which isn't surprising given the quality of what is available. And we all started with r-t-r models at some time or other.

If this sounds like preaching, then apologies but there is nothing quite like making it yourself, either using kits and commercially available parts or from scratch. That said, I'd never build a Gresley, Thompson or Peppercorn Pacific from kit or from scratch, the r-t-r offerings are just too good. So I'm by no means a scratch building bigot, nor am I a P4 zealot and if running and operating was my bag, rather than building, I would go with 'OO', perhaps just building the pointwork where necessary.

So if any thread, mine or anyone elses, encourages anyone to just have a go, then that's justification enough for writing this stuff. There's always someone on here who's done it, tested it, tried it and who can offer advice and, generally, they're happy to do it.

RMWeb isn't just a showcase, it is an interactive, real time facility and that is it's greatest value. No magazine (and I would never decry the modelling mags) can offer that interactive capability, at least not in real time.

Cheers

Mike

Realistically, most of what is on here is about using and enhancing r-t-r offerings, which isn't surprising given the quality of what is available. And we all started with r-t-r models at some time or other.

Mike

Interesting then that although there is a topic titled "kitbuilding and scratchbuilding", there isn't one titled "modifying and improving rtr".

Over to you Mr Y!

Interesting then that although there is a topic titled "kitbuilding and scratchbuilding", there isn't one titled "modifying and improving rtr".

Over to you Mr Y!

Some of the folk who post under 'weathering and painting' would qualify for that topic. They just bring r-t-r models to life, even though they don't always add any tangible parts to the models.

Good suggestion, especially as enhancing/modifying r-t-r models is where a lot of us started on the road to kit and scratch building. Some of the work done on r-t-r models, by a whole load of contributors, is every bit as good as any kit or scratch built model.

Cheers

Mike

Over to you Mr Y!

Interesting point Mike.

When the site went over to the new style, I looked through the forums to find what was most suitable for my style. Obviously, Modifying RTR wasn't there so I opted for the K&S forum. Anywho, a little off track from the OP, so just steering it back a little, I'd second both Mike's thoughts on signal construction and both's results are superb.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived