Horsted Keynes - East Grinstead, OO

Bluebell Model Railway

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been a while since I have updated this topic!
So let me bring up to date, the layout still exists, till the house is sold, had a few magazine enquiries... but I feel in its current state I don't think its magazine worthy.

Anyway with the layouts future now in the hands of time... I have been replacing or rebuilding stock.
The LNWR observation was sold off to raise funds for the 3D print I have had waiting for 2 years to print, so that's pretty much built and painted... now the long wait for HMRS to have the transfers back in stock... which I think was the same issue I had 5 years ago...27244949087_00113bd3b4_b.jpg

Another coach I have wanted to do is the LBSC Directors saloon, and thanks to Worsley Works they did a sort of starter kit, which then took 3 months of research to get all the bits together, bog thanks to the Bluebell's C&W team for helping and Mike who did a photo survey for me, as that really helped... at the moment its very brown, waiting for lining out, when ever I have the funds to afford it, as it was being written for a magazine sadly the new editor isn't very communicative like the previous editor so I'm left in limbo really... till I find some more cash to finish it.

41972345481_b8e0b1e52c_b.jpg

I made the longish journey back to Buckinghamshire, first to attend Railex 2018 at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, which was ok, wasn't the best one I have been to in recent years... but was better than the one we have on the island...

Secondly of course was to check on the layout... and seeing as it was supposed to be nice weather... which didn't happen although It did clear I managed to get some running in on it, 12 hours overall... and only a little bit of swearing at it... and some maintenance with a large hammer...

Anyway I received my 2 P-Class one in March which was 323 Bluebell and 178 in lined SECR livery in May, produced by Hatton's.
Both needed some tweaking on their pickups as they were a little bit inconsistent when running, but after they were great..

I have added some extra touches of my own, etched numbers, and route discs as well as a crew... which was a royal pain to fit in the cab as access was not great.40664579485_ccde9ac3fb_b.jpg

26688705597_65024af98e_b.jpg
27534666117_5d189444e2_b.jpg
40597311050_9e9a0265fa_b.jpg
27534691477_8f34abf825_b.jpg
42405508031_4f4281d98b_b.jpg

And a cheeky P-Class review:

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 8

• 10 months later...

Afternoon, sadly I don't post up much these days, as I am just so busy with customer work... and also changing over couplings to Kadees... meaning some 3D printing to make pockets for various kit built rolling stock.

Anyway. I have finished 3 carriages recently, with a fourth not too far behind...  when I find time between trying to get research for transfers..
The LBSCR Directors saloon was completed end of last year, thanks to a great number of people at the Bluebell, photographers, carriage and wagon workshop loads of people.... thanks to all of them.

45090629755_beaa2b06da_b.jpg

Next finished for the LNWR competition a little while ago, not that it won anything but I didn't expect it to..... This observation car, was a bit of paint lots of parts, lots of individual seating, which I will have to change for easier installation,  however it does look good for a 3D printed carriage. This was my proper first go with a bow pen... it came out ok, I'm not Ian Rathbone yet... lol but one day who knows. Thanks to the generous member who allowed me some of his transfers as HMRS had none..

44634386520_b96dcca006_b.jpg

Another carriage is a bit of a compromise as I couldn't find a kit or sides to create a 50ft 1" birdcage lav brake... so having a bit of spare cash... I purchased a discounted Birdcage brake third lav, which of course is 60ft...  after looking at various drawings and diagrams of the interior, I gave it the chop.. the bottoms of the mouldings between the windows on Bachmann's has rounded corners where as the carriage I wanted to do had squared or 90 degree angle corners. So had to compromise there... the former 2nd class compartments were 1/2" longer... and had a different layout, the layout was changed sadly the compartment sizes couldn't. Overall it looks ok..

47349789072_d9e0de2823_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2019 at 20:27, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Thanks it's a bit old now 14 years old, but it was fun to build on a low budget... 

As the layout is likely to be broken up when the house sells I hope I can rebuild it one day. 

Never say never!

I cut Henley in half when we moved over to Spain - by cutting very carefully, I have been able to rebuild it and it is now operational again. Its taken 6 months of lots going on, but its getting there.

Good luck with the move - please don't give up on HK.

Neal.

• Friendly/supportive 3