"Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" A micro steelworks layout... in the rain!

marc smith

Marc,

Have a look at the Arifix Signal Gantry (Google the images) - the legs look just about right for the support legs for your pipes.

Or you could try Pete Harvey's radio mast etch.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes, I've considered the Airfix signal gantry.

But I've not yet seen the Pete Harvey mast.

I think I'll probably end up with some sort of "hybrid"

Looking closely at the prototypes, they are a real mixed bunch,

with several types - some of them very different to their neighbours.

I want to get a decent appearance to the gantries -

The Knightwing girders may be of use, unfortunately all but the smallest ones are a bit on the large side for this application.

There will be quite a few of them,

I may end up going for some brass bits too....

I also need to think about protecting the pipework and gantries,

as they may get the occasional knock, when track cleaning!

I've thought about making some parts "detatchable" -

in the hope that this will limit any damage....

Cheers again

Marc :D

This is looking like a winner Marc - can't wait to see it in the flesh (which I believe might be at a certain show if I've heard right...!). Let me know if you still want me to have a go at casting some coils!

Pix

Hi Pix,

You may well have heared right!

Hope you can cast me some coils!

And of course, let others have the opportunity of purchasing your fine wares too!

I have some more coils, made for me by a chap with a shop on ebay.

"AGL associates" I've painted these up, and keep promising to add pictures :rolleyes:

Will do so soon as I'm back from hols!

Andrew at AGL made the coils to a specific size for me, and does some other stuff which is very useful - including the brake van tail lamp you may have seen on Hendre at a certain recent show!

Best

Marc

amazing looking wagons i've been planning to build a steelworks themed layout for ages now but keep getting distracting with other projects and the house work....

.....I know what you mean....

other plans keep cropping up and distracting me too

(like the O gauge layout for instance!)...

but it's good to have lots of ideas & schemes in your head -

keeps you thinking.....

I've been planning this little layout for what seems like ages now!

And as I'm building this one, I'm well aware of a very small O gauge scheme,

which has been in my head for several years, and keeps getting put aside.... :rolleyes:

....and as for house work :lol:

Cheers

Marc

For anyone interested in the steel coil loads I mentioned,

here is a link to one of the types available from Andy at AGL associates

and his ebay shop:-

Steel Coil Loads

Thanks for the link Marc. Didn't need any of the loads yet, but I bought a pack of his pre-wired rail joiners. Soon pay for themselves in the reduction of burnt fingers & all the ones I throw away when I try to solder them (rail joiners that is, not fingers!!)

Love the pics from ASW - is that in the same area as Cardiff Tidal? I think it was in regard to the latter that I read an internet post this week of a 66 running around it's train & brake van (my italics!) prior to propelling it down 'the branch'! Have you ever witnessed such a working? Didn't think there were any brake vans left in revenue service?!

Any updates on your locos?!

Keef

Marc,

The approach I have adopted is to construct the required number of supports (i.e brackets off the sides of buildings, or the lattice towers) and fit a saddle on the top in which the pipe can rest.

Make sure your pipe run is cut to length and install the two outermost supports, and fix them in place.

Then place the pipe run loosely on top of the two supports, and put the other supports in place using the piping to locate them at the correct height.

Leave the piping loose, so it can be lifted off to allow track cleaning and other access.

I use Plastruct/Evergreen tubing which are telescopic and use the next smaller diameter to my piping as reinforcing inside the joints.

I'm also in a quandry over the towers (what our transatlantic colleagues would call a 'signature model'), which need to tall enough to carry the pipe about 30' above the ground. The Airfix/Dapol footbridge structure is too coarse for my eyes, whilst the Ratio hoist appears fine enough, but too low in height. I have some Hornby electricity pylon parts, but the batter is too sharp making the base too large. I can't remember why I discounted the Walthers conveyor supports.

One could always compromise and employ the simpler style made from 'I' sections.

As for "keef's" last post, I don't recall any brake vans in use after the arrival of 66s into Tidal. However, Allied Steel owned an ex-GWR Toad which was used for re-railing and also purchased two BR standrad 20ton vans with a view to using them for tours of the works. One was gutted by fire (NOT by certain Humberside modellers who had a penchant for such models).

There is now but one BR brake van in 'irregular' use in S.Wales for propelling movements between East Usk and Birdport on the East Usk/Uskmouth branch. It was in use last week on a Llanwern - East Usk - Birdport train of export steel.

The last brakevan I rode was the East Usk 'Queen Mary' behind Cl.03 D2199 at Machen Quarry !

(I have the pics at home).

Brian

post-1599-078104500 1285681387_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Marc. Didn't need any of the loads yet, but I bought a pack of his pre-wired rail joiners. Soon pay for themselves in the reduction of burnt fingers & all the ones I throw away when I try to solder them (rail joiners that is, not fingers!!)

Love the pics from ASW - is that in the same area as Cardiff Tidal? I think it was in regard to the latter that I read an internet post this week of a 66 running around it's train & brake van (my italics!) prior to propelling it down 'the branch'! Have you ever witnessed such a working? Didn't think there were any brake vans left in revenue service?!

Any updates on your locos?!

Keef

Cardiff Tidal was/is the BR yard alongside the Celsa plant. I suspect the propelling move with a van was a Llanwern to Birdport coil train- Birdport being a new terminal which has been constructed over the East Usk branch east of Newport. The line to Uskmouth/ Fifoots Point power station runs through the unloading shed. Steel trains are propelled along the branch in one direction, there being no loop at Birdport, hence the need for a brake van at the opposite end of the train to the loco.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Can I make a suggestion re the pipe supports - looking at the photo added by BR2975 (great detail in there by the way), could these be soldered up from brass square section and brass angle. I would think that a simple wooden jig could be made to hold everything square and each one the same. The pipe brackets on the top could be a profiled section of plastic. The supports would certainly be strong enough to resist any accidental damage. As suggested, I would use the Evergreen telescopic tubes, which should again be quite tough. I would wonder if they would become twisted at the joints if made removable.

Richard

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the suggestions re the pipework + gantry.

And thanks to Brian for that cracking shot!

For the type of pipe support in that photo, I think construction would be simple enough.

Either brass, or the finest of the knightwing girders would be a possibility....

As I mentioned earlier though, there are several different types of support.

Some of which are more akin to electricity pylons.

(Yes, I've seen the Hornby ones too, and I agree, I think they're too wide at the base for this layout)

It's the more complicated, more substantial type of support I'm interested in.

Brian, can I ask you a favour?

Do you have any photos of the different types of support, which you could post on this thread?

Just so other contributors to the thread can see what I mean?

It's not until you start looking closely, that you even notice such details.

Now, if I modelled each one differently to its' neighbour,

I'm sure it would look wrong!

Cheers all,

Marc

For the type of pipe support in that photo, I think construction would be simple enough.

Either brass, or the finest of the knightwing girders would be a possibility....

It's the more complicated, more substantial type of support I'm interested in.

Brian, can I ask you a favour?

Do you have any photos of the different types of support, which you could post on this thread?

Just so other contributors to the thread can see what I mean?

Marc,

Are these what you're looking for ?

By comparing the loco (08951 in this case) you'll get an idea as to how high the pipeline is, even more so in the second shot which shows the towers and guy / stay wires.

I believe this pipeline is no longer used, as it comes to an abrupt halt at the level crossing behind the EMR scrapyard.

I showed my pipeline example to one of the boys (alright a know-all) at the club this week, and he passed comment about the location of any joints in the pipeline......... which I'll be posting on my thread soon.

Brian

post-1599-095063000 1285749068_thumb.jpg

post-1599-045020000 1285749125_thumb.jpg

post-1599-012018000 1285749196_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Marc,

Are these what you're looking for ?

By comparing the loco (08951 in this case) you'll get an idea as to how high the pipeline is, even more so in the second shot which shows the towers and guy / stay wires.

I believe this pipeline is no longer used, as it comes to an abrupt halt at the level crossing behind the EMR scrapyard.

I showed my pipeline example to one of the boys (alright a know-all) at the club this week, and he passed comment about the location of any joints in the pipeline......... which I'll be posting on my thread soon.

Brian

I wouldn't think that pipeline would still be in use- it would have been used to carry either 'producer gas' from the blast furnaces or 'town gas' from the coke ovens for use in reheating ingots for rolling or similar purposes, so it would have been redundant when these bits of East Moors closed. You wouldn't find that large a pipe carrying liquid on such spindly supports either, or at such a height- they tend to sit on concrete and brick saddles, just clear of the ground. I presume AS&W kept the pipe-run in place because it was either too expensive to demolish, or because it served as a support for cable-runs between different sites.

I wouldn't think that pipeline would still be in use- ................... I presume AS&W kept the pipe-run in place because it was either too expensive to demolish, or because it served as a support for cable-runs between different sites.

Brian,

I think this photo of the Castle Works end of the pipeline confirms the 'not in use' assumptions !

On this occasion it was too wet to get out of the car.

Brian

PS.

When you're visiting Penarth next, give me a ring - should you fancy refreshments at 'The Old A'.

post-1599-030362600 1285751753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Brian,

I think this photo of the Castle Works end of the pipeline confirms the 'not in use' assumptions !

On this occasion it was too wet to get out of the car.

Brian

PS.

When you're visiting Penarth next, give me a ring - should you fancy refreshments at 'The Old A'.

I'm surprised the neighbours haven't nicked that...

Though these pipes are obviously gash,there are often 4" lagged steam pipes on similar structures in industrial plants of all sorts. These should have 'steam traps' at intervals which blow the condensate out.

I'll be down for Wales- Australia in early November. 'Old A'?

B

Brian,

Thanks very much for posting the above pics!

They demonstrate exactly what I mean re there being several different types of support.

Especially noticeable in the pic of the EWS 08.....

Cheers

Marc :D

Edit: Here is a link to Brians thread -

I think this promises to be a cracking layout...

..especially as Brian has so much info on the subject :D

Br's steelworks layout

I wouldn't think that pipeline would still be in use- it would have been used to carry either 'producer gas' from the blast furnaces

Small corrrection, blast furnaces produce 'blast furnace' gas (carbon monoxide) in vast quantities, a million or more cubic feet per hour.  It's a dirty, low calorific value, fuel but steel works use it for heating blast stoves, coke ovens, reheating furnaces and boilers.

'Producer gas' (carbon monoxide and hydrogen) is produced in a Gas Producer by blowing steam through incandescent coal. It's clean and has a higher calorific value, Steelworks used it mainly for firing open hearth furnaces. It's an obsolete process now.

Arthur

Small corrrection, blast furnaces produce 'blast furnace' gas (carbon monoxide) in vast quantities, a million or more cubic feet per hour.  It's a dirty, low calorific value, fuel but steel works use it for heating blast stoves, coke ovens, reheating furnaces and boilers.

'Producer gas' is produced in a Gas Producer by blowing steam through incandescent coal. It's clean and has a high calorific value, Steelworks used it mainly for firing open hearth furnaces. It's an obsolete process now.

Arthur

Sorry about that- I was thinking back to O-level geography, which was a very long time ago.

Guest Dave.C

Having been born and bred on Teesside, layouts such as this are a favourite of mine.

I cannot add to what has already been suggested on the pipe supports, but good luck

HI Marc

This is going to be one hell of a corker, if it is in the same vain as you last layouts you have done !.

Can not Waite to see how this one progresses , I can see a few Gronks working this line , just up my street.Keep up the good work !.

All the very best

Darren

Hi Marc,

Really liking the look of this one! It's looking good so far...

I've started digging mine back out again, although I'm thinking of reducing the size of the board now. At the moment it is 4' x 18'' but it's a bit of a lump to carry round myself and there's not even any buildings on it yet!! Plus it would make transport to any shows easier!

I'm also a little confused (forgive my stupidity!), you say you ar going to add a sector plate at the right hand end to enable running round of trains. Does this mean that the final layout will be longer than 6 feet? 6 feet is around the length I was looking at because of my available space, but at the moment my running round forms part of the main board (albeit not laid permanent yet)! I'd be interested in your thoughts around this as like yourself I would like the odd mainline loco to appear in addition to gronks!

Keep up the good work, oh and thanks for the mention in the article! :blush:

Cheers

Hey Wayne,

Glad you've dug the layout out again -

I keep waiting for you to complete it :lol:

I know, time just marches on eh?

Yes, the fiddle yard will be a sliding sector-plate on the right hand edge of the layout.

In the front right-hand side will be a loading shed - ala Celsa (sort of!).

The sector-plate will consist of 3 roads (well, that's my present thinking).

Running round will be in the style of "Llanastr" - but, I may add a loco-release at the end of the sector-plate, just for added flexibility......

The whole thing will be around 6 feet (or just under - with the possibility of adding said "plug-in" loco-release.At present, the main board is a tad under 3 feet, by around 15 inches deep - at its' deepest, and around 10 inches deep at the narrowest point (right).

I know what you mean about lugging baseboards around - and 4 feet doesn't look like much when it's a piece of lining paper! But boy, does it suddenly start gettting heavy when you start adding plaster/ mod-rock / buildings etc! That's why I now use foam insulation board!

That O gauge layout of mine (Clarbeston North) is around the same size as Hendre - but probably a third of the weight - and that's a conservative estimate!

No probs re the mention mate - our "locals" have all been so informative + suportive

Best

Marc

No probs re the mention mate - our "locals" have all been so informative + suportive

Marc,

Didn't realise you were back ?

Impressed with the article, and as Wayne said, cheers for the mention.

I'm looking to set up a Thursday night shortly, any preferences ?

Brian

Hi Marc

Looking fabulosa so far pal!

oh and thanks for posting the link to the guy on flea bay - hopefully a small to middling size parcel is winging its way to me... hmmm...ideas ideas ideas

Cheers

Roger

oh the mists of Blaenavon..