R4431 - Virgin Charter / 4-window Mk3 Buffet

97403_Ixion

In contrast, making major internal changes to a TRFB in order to make the saloon bigger and kitchen smaller would involve major structural changes, including cutting windows, etc, and would have cost significantly more.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes fair point (taking in-to acount that originally there were going to no buffets at all on the shorter distance journeys). However even more structural changes than described above will now be needed if the redundant TRFB's are converted in-to TS's (to restore the shortened sets to eight coaches) and presumably even more expensive.

PS On a more general note are we going to see the EWS Class 90/Mk3b DVT before Christmas?

However even more structural changes than described above will now be needed if the redundant TRFB's are converted in-to TS's (to restore the shortened sets to eight coaches) and presumably even more expensive.

Yes, indeed - but it's no doubt a case of not having any alternatives if they want more 'open' carriages - there are simply none / very few available now - even most of the stored loco-hauled ones are spoken for. Don't forget that the stored TRFBs haven't had an internal refit, so whatever was done with them they would need fairly significant work.

So far as I know a catering to open conversion has only been done once before, when a pair of TRUKs were converted into FOs, again at a time of considerable shortage of Mk3s (these two FOs are with FGW now)

'PS On a more general note are we going to see the EWS Class 90/Mk3b DVT before Christmas?

Last I heard it was due to be with Hornby during November (as were the XC / EMT / EC HST Power cars). Weather permitting I'm hoping to pop in to Rail of Sheffield in the next couple of weeks, so I'll ask - they always seem to know the latest, being a major dealer.

Kernow Model Rail Centre newsletter from last weekend states, I think (from memory), that the DVT/90 pack has slipped into next year

Hi,

Just read the newsletter and it does not make any mention of the that trainpack being delayed until next year

Hope this helps

Simon

Hi,

Just read the newsletter and it does not make any mention of the that trainpack being delayed until next year

Hope this helps

Simon

Sorry it does mention it being delayed, cut from email:

"R2953 **LTD**FLYING SCOTSMAN USA 1969

R2955 VIRGIN CHARTER RELIEF TRAIN PK

R2962 RAILFREIGHT Co-Co 'OYSTERMOUTH'"

Simon Kohler did mention back at the BRM Peterborough show that he was hoping it would be before christmas but I guess the Kernow newer information overrides this. :(

Hi St. Simon,

it is listed at the end of the OO gauge section, just below the Realtrack freightliner models - R2955 Virgin Charter Relief Train Pk.. As on the website...

A little longer to wait, I'm afraid!!

Cheers,

Ixion.

P.S.: Pipped me to the post bigbloke!

What I mean is that they are also 4-windowed Mk3 buffets so could be produced reasonably accurately from an RFM tooling. In contrast, a TRUB / TRFB couldn't as they are 3-windowed buffets.

Sorry for being so blonde! I get what you mean now. It is a shame that they don't do the TRSB or TRUK (TRFK or TRLFK) as well- maybe the moulds have been set up to allow this- we can all live in hope. Incidentally I have been having a close look at the Irish Mk3 stock recently (and trying not to get tempted into modelling it) where IR have their own 4 windowed buffet car which is to their specification. A superficial look at both sides suggest that it has a very similar window layout to the TRUK- obviously there are such differences as the corridor windows alongside the kitchen are opaque and the passenger door is a plug door on the IR but overall there is a lot of similarity. Could be useful should Murphy Models (or another manufacturer) produce the IR Mk3 stock.

Sorry it does mention it being delayed, cut from email:

R2955 VIRGIN CHARTER RELIEF TRAIN PK

Hi St. Simon,

it is listed at the end of the OO gauge section, just below the Realtrack freightliner models - R2955 Virgin Charter Relief Train Pk.. As on the website...

Hi,

Stupid Me, sorry if I confused anyone!

Simon

Kernow Model Rail Centre newsletter from last weekend states, I think (from memory), that the DVT/90 pack has slipped into next year

and subsequent posts.

Just read the Hornby 2010 December Releases Newsletter (see appropriate thread for this one http://www.rmweb.co....ses-newsletter/).

It would seem my disappointment is confirmed by the absence of the EWS Class 90/Mk3b DVT Pack (lucky for those who wanted the Cross Country/EMT HST Power Cars though).

At least I can get the extra 'Pretendolino' FO.

Keeping my fingers crossed for January, also for the extra TSO's.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought my quota of the extra 'Pretendolino' TSO's and FO to go with the FO/TSO/RFM pack I've already got.

Can you imagine my dissapointment (when fitting the buffers) to find the TSO's have the incorrect FO seating unit.

Yet the TSO in the RFM pack DOES have the correct seating unit.

So why is this?????

Different batch? Different factory? Avoidable mistake? Corner cutting?

Following on from the discussions about the different types of RFM I was reasonbly content that a compromise had to be reached with the one used for the 'Pretendolino' (despite being of the wrong type).

However to then go and put the wrong seating unit as described above is in my opinion (even as an average modeller) inexcusable.

I will be contacting Hornby on this matter, in the meantime any comments will be welcome.

Archived