Peak rail at Matlock

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

Work has started to re connect Peak rail with Network rail at Matlock, sleepers have been layed up to the fence at Matlock, and the coming weeks should see progress :)

Mike

Hi

I was in Matlock about a fortnight ago and it looked like the connection had already been made. Am I missing something here?

The line through the station at Matlock joined another line which had a buffer stop on a pair of sidings one either side of it near the Sainsburys store.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

its to re-connect at the Matlock riverside site, , installing a point and track to the gate and buffer stop of Network rail, other side of the Sainsburys bridge

Mike

Hi

Ah so I wasn't far enough along the line. Thanks for that.

Cheers

Paul

According to Railway Herald, 46115 Scots Guardsman is due to work a through St. Pancras - Derby - Matlock - Rowsley special the first weekend of March next year.

I expect they will have to repaint it into a spoof pretty livery before it's allowed onto Peak rail metals though!

:diablo_mini: :diablo_mini: :diablo_mini:

Kevin

Thanks for the photos Mike. Must go up and have a look. Good to see progress.

According to Railway Herald, 46115 Scots Guardsman is due to work a through St. Pancras - Derby - Matlock - Rowsley special the first weekend of March next year.

I expect they will have to repaint it into a spoof pretty livery before it's allowed onto Peak rail metals though!

:diablo_mini: :diablo_mini: :diablo_mini:

Kevin

Spoof: mild satirical, mockery, trick, hoax.

Now which did you have in mind for liveries worn by Peak Rail Locos: Austerity 0-6-0ST's running as Cromford and High Peak J94's or an 8F in LMS Passenger Crimson Lake. Satire perhaps, mocking the people who get worked up about liveries, certainly. The trick was to get maximum publicity for the 8F which has been handsomely achieved! Painting the 8F red started as a practical joke so there you have it!

By the way I understand that Scots Guardsman in Green is planned for Saturday 5th March.

• 3 months later...

they have got the line right up to the network rail fence, just requires the contractors who are to relay the track in the station to slew the track slightly and connect it up.

http://dominic-beglin.magix.net/website/#4

they are also looking to raise the cost of the totem signs, from the National preservation site.

"If we buy FOUR British Railways totems for Matlock at the same time, we can reduce the price to £219.58 each! This doesn't include VAT, but buying through the DWVRT means we can reclaim the VAT, which I shall pay for all four signs, to make up the actual price of £263.50 each"

http://www.dwvrt.org.uk/

• RMweb Premium

interesting pics from 1965 of the bridge at Rowsley over the A6 road being replaced, sadly it didn't last long and it was later demolished and the road level raised, this is the main physical barrier of Peak rail reaching the trackbed in the peak park.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/rowsley/index51.shtml

Interesting set of photos - contractors Bowmer and Kirkland as still very much in business in the local area with their HQ at Heage just a few miles south of Matlock

Company history here http://www.bandk.co.uk/our-history.html

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyway of checking when the trackwork at Matlock is being laid?

ie any site like Network rail for disruptions to give us a clue when it will be getting done.

I tried the network rail site but you have to put in the date your travelling.

no one from Peak rail seems to want to tell.

the trackwork will be laid by contractors.

Is there anyway of checking when the trackwork at Matlock is being laid?

A class 66 on a train of bogie ballast wagons turned up at Matlock at 11.50pm on Thursday evening but I think it ran round its train in the loop on the NR side of the fence. It was gone when I went to work at 8.00am on Friday morning. It was probably on an overnight re-ballasting job on the branch further south.

A certain bookseller at Matlock station told me that the branch is closed over the Easter weekend when passengers will be 'bustituted' to stations to Derby. Therefore itt might be that NR plans to use that window of opportunity to lay the track in platform 2 and to slew the headshunt at the end of the loop to connect with Peak Rail's extended new 'main line'.

Just to clarify, the line between Derby and Matlock is only closed on the Sunday and Monday of Easter weekend (ie. 24th and 25th April), it is open for train services on Good Friday and Easter Saturday so if anyone is planning to visit Peak Rail or Matlock they can still do so without having to catch a bus on these days.

The engineering possession at Easter is primarily to carry out work on the main line at Broadholme (just south of Ambergate Junction) although there is nothing to stop work from taking place at Matlock at the same time. However, I understand all the issues regarding Peak Rail access to Matlock station have not yet been resolved and may delay the opening date that is on the PR website. The charter train with 46115 is postponed UFN and will in any case have to run on a Sunday as there are no paths available on the branch on a Saturday (and there are unlikely to be any time in the near future).

Mike

Just to clarify, the line between Derby and Matlock is only closed on the Sunday and Monday of Easter weekend (ie. 24th and 25th April), it is open for train services on Good Friday and Easter Saturday so if anyone is planning to visit Peak Rail or Matlock they can still do so without having to catch a bus on these days.

The engineering possession at Easter is primarily to carry out work on the main line at Broadholme (just south of Ambergate Junction) although there is nothing to stop work from taking place at Matlock at the same time. However, I understand all the issues regarding Peak Rail access to Matlock station have not yet been resolved and may delay the opening date that is on the PR website. The charter train with 46115 is postponed UFN and will in any case have to run on a Sunday as there are no paths available on the branch on a Saturday (and there are unlikely to be any time in the near future).

Mike

the charter is on a Sunday and will be with 70000 Brittannia

http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/index.php/the-peak-forester---220511.html

tight curve!

matlockriverside.jpg

this is a photo taken over the last day or so which I have permission to use.

the photographer has put a red line on where he thinks they should have put the line, but that would mean the removal of the retaining wall and they also plan to the signal box there.

even when slewed over it looks like itll be tight, even accounting for the long camera shot.

the peak rail line is actually on the original formation, when the sainsbury bridge and NR loop was put in it was over to the left side.

I think NR should have had the line running off their right hand line with a right hand point

• RMweb Gold

tight curve!

matlockriverside.jpg

this is a photo taken over the last day or so which I have permission to use.

the photographer has put a red line on where he thinks they should have put the line, but that would mean the removal of the retaining wall and they also plan to the signal box there.

even when slewed over it looks like itll be tight, even accounting for the long camera shot.

the peak rail line is actually on the original formation, when the sainsbury bridge and NR loop was put in it was over to the left side.

I think NR should have had the line running off their right hand line with a right hand point

It looks very much to me as if one bunch of railway builders didn't talk to the other bunch of railway builders in order to agree a site and permanent way plan before they started building their bit of railway towards the boundary where the two were to meet. I wonder which lot got it wrong, or are neither of them right?

I'm not a religous zealot but can I just point out that the Saturday between Good Fraday and Easter Sunday is actually 'Holy Saturday'. The official 'Easter Saturday' is the following Saturday April 30th.

this is how I think it would be better. I dont think they'll do it but just my 2p worth.

ok NR would have to replace the point with a right hand, but the one already in is brand new so maybe a swap somewhere?

could do that when the contractors are there to line the 2 tracks up and also lay the line in the station platform.

as far as I know the gate and fence wont be staying.

matlock1.jpg

Archived