Aberfeldy Branch

• RMweb Gold

With regards to future EM gauge project I am looking for any information on the above, specifically an Aberfeldy trackplan and shots/plans of Grandtully station buidlings and sheds.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Martin,

1900 Track plan and some useful photos....

Angus Railway Group - Steam Album

Volume 3 - Perthshire

Not got an ISBN number.

Had some on Douglas Blades Booksellers stand at Falkirk.

Search through ABE Books if I remember correctly.

If not - will see him next weekend and can ask.

Thanks

Have you been to the Logierait Inn? I visited it when I was up doing a site survey for a possible project (now shelved) to model Ballinluig. They have an impressive collection of old B&W photos - some framed and displayed on the walls but quite a few which aren't - and if you ask nicely they'll dig them all out for you.

Not really adding to the topic, but I like the idea of going into a pub for research purposes. ......

...and still slightly off topic, there was a 'real' pub by Killay station 'The Railway Inn' (SA2 7DS - north of Swansea), I deposited about 50 photo's there of the station, colliery's etc., at one time (1970's) to add to their own collection, but I don't know if they are still there? The pub is because I've just checked Google Street View.

I do remember people took a keen interest in the the photo's though.

Hi Martin,

LMS Engine Sheds Vol 6 (Highland Railway) - Irwell, will give you a plan of Aberfeldy plus info and photo's, also look at Highland Main Line by Neil Sinclair (Atlantic), There are also a coupe of magazine articles I'm aware of - Steam Days April 1996 and Railway Bylines December 2006.

There is also the Highland Railway Society (www.hrsoc.org.uk) which has a Yahoo group for members.

Hope this is useful

Paul

There are several pictures of Aberfeldy in the Colour-rail stable; they come up regularly on ebay. R.S. Carpenter sells some as does Jeremy Suter (masquarades as GCR427 on ebay) and I think Blencowe has some.

There is a good plan of the whole of the station as a poster has noted in LMS Engine Sheds. There are occasional pictures in the main "Highland" books; which are listed on page 2 of this thread http://www.rmweb.co....sh/page__st__25

There are some Fotopic sites, including the Roy Hamilton Collection at http://davids.railway.fotopic.net/c601778_49.html

There are a couple of drawings held by the Scottish Record's Office in Edinburgh, including of the station building from which I built this:

post-7769-0-06641400-1295826417_thumb.jpg

Beware though, I don't think the station building was in fact ever built exactly like this. It was close to this at one stage but had extensions, a canopy and different roof arrangements. It also burnt down at least once and was rebuilt, which does confuse the matter somewhat. Compare it for example to the picture in the Fotopic album, the chimneys are quite different, and it has various additions.

An interesting prototype, but surprisingly big.

Hi Martin,

LMS Engine Sheds Vol 6 (Highland Railway) - Irwell, will give you a plan of Aberfeldy plus info and photo's, also look at Highland Main Line by Neil Sinclair (Atlantic), There are also a coupe of magazine articles I'm aware of - Steam Days April 1996 and Railway Bylines December 2006.

There is also the Highland Railway Society (www.hrsoc.org.uk) which has a Yahoo group for members.

Hope this is useful

Paul

Thanks Paul! I'll look out for them (the project is based on a proposed extension from Aberfeldy)

There are several pictures of Aberfeldy in the Colour-rail stable; they come up regularly on ebay. R.S. Carpenter sells some as does Jeremy Suter (masquarades as GCR427 on ebay) and I think Blencowe has some.

There is a good plan of the whole of the station as a poster has noted in LMS Engine Sheds. There are occasional pictures in the main "Highland" books; which are listed on page 2 of this thread http://www.rmweb.co....sh/page__st__25

There are some Fotopic sites, including the Roy Hamilton Collection at http://davids.railway.fotopic.net/c601778_49.html

There are a couple of drawings held by the Scottish Record's Office in Edinburgh, including of the station building from which I built this:

Beware though, I don't think the station building was in fact ever built exactly like this. It was close to this at one stage but had extensions, a canopy and different roof arrangements. It also burnt down at least once and was rebuilt, which does confuse the matter somewhat. Compare it for example to the picture in the Fotopic album, the chimneys are quite different, and it has various additions.

An interesting prototype, but surprisingly big.

Thanks Mark! I'm looking for various aspects of the line to create an extension (not the Kenmore one!) to the line and Grantully Station buildings fit the bill as does the goods shed and should hopefully fit in visually,

the genesis of the layout based on Peter Fletchers 'Lawers' (RM 09/82) and Neil Ripley's 'Lochside' plan in Ian Futers' second Scottish Layouts book

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure that I've mentioned this before but Old Maps has to be the first port of call for trackplans of historic UK prototype locations.

(Martin - look in your e-mails for the Aberfeldy plan)

Grantully Station buildings fit the bill as does the goods shed and should hopefully fit in visually,

There is a lot of similarity between the now Broomhill station buildings on the Strathspey and Grandtully; although not when you submit them to detailed analysis. See here My link.

As an alternative, the Highland did develop an almost standard small station building; see Plockton My link, Avoch My link, Burghead (new) My link or Redcastle My link (note near the bottom of this one). If you are doing a terminous, the slightly larger buildings at Fortrose My link & My link or Fochabers My link & My link are probably a better bet. Note that Fochabers is an early station, hence it is in stone. It depends what your "history" will be, if the extension is contemporary with the main Aberfeldy branch then go for Fochabers or Aberfeldy; if it is a later extension, go with one of the timber buildings.

There are drawings out there for Plockton (Railway Modeller 1976 I beleive) and the link to Fochabers includes a drawing. Not so sure about the others, but again I would think the Scottish Records office would be a good place to start. Also try Am Baile (some of the links go to their site - it is where the Highland Railway Society is depositing scanned copies of its collection; available on line but at present only a proportion of the collection has been scanned.

Archived