Fernlea

DomDulley

I have three Peco electrofrog large points left over from an earlier layout which was abandoned before I could use them.

I have fitted a couple of these and the track geometry now looks much better.

I think I will get some more and use them for all the visible points, and relegate the old Hornby insulfrogs to the fiddle yard.

My only concern is the wiring of the electrofrogs. I'm using DCC, so am I right in assuming that if I fit IRJs to the V of the frog rails this will be enough? I know that there is some further wiring recommended but I not going to do this just yet. 

The two points I've added using this IRJ method don't seem to have caused any problems, except for creating a dead section of track which I fixed by replacing some dodgy joiners on that section of track.

Yes use IRJ's at the Vee ie where the two inner rails meet to avoid a short, then power from the IRJ onwards. If you are planning on using electrofrog all round apart from the fiddle, worth giving consideration to wiring for polarity as you suggest. My much smaller layout only has six electrofrogs, so I didn't bother, nor have I had any problems, but the running speeds are much lower than your's are likely to be. Any of my older wheeled coach / wagon stock, runs fine but I have insulated the wheels by painting them. The modern locos run fine over electrofrogs without having to modify the points.

• RMweb Premium

For your fiddle yard I would be tempted to bring the left hand curve towards the scenic break by a foot or so. This would allow you to fan the sidings out on both sides allowing longer roads and allowing you to complete the final 2 dead end sidings to through roads.

Progress report.

Track is cut and laid apart from the goods yard and loco facilities. This is because the points are a bit pricey to buy all at once.

Yesterday I wired up a radial bus and soldered droppers to the station track and points.

I tested all my four locos and everything seems fine in terms of power and clearance.

Before I go any further I think I need to put cork tiles down under the track so that's the next job. Then I can add a few more droppers and also build the elevated circuit of track.

For your fiddle yard I would be tempted to bring the left hand curve towards the scenic break by a foot or so. This would allow you to fan the sidings out on both sides allowing longer roads and allowing you to complete the final 2 dead end sidings to through roads.

I would if I could but unfortunately my computer monitor restricts the length of desk available.

The fiddle yard as it stands is the best compromise I could come up with, but if anyone can improve on it in the available space I would be very grateful.

Yesterday I cut the remaining supports for the elevated track and put them in place to check the length of the gradients. It all looks good so tonight I'm hoping to cut the 6mm MDF I'm using as a track bed and fit it all together.

Then I need to add some more droppers and cut and fit the track for the loco facilities. Hoping to do this at the weekend.

I'm desperate to get started on ballasting and some scenery, but I'm not going to rush this :)

With work progressing on the elevated track I realised that the plan needed to be modified so that the elevated section did not form part of the fiddle yard.

The fiddle yard is still far from ideal but it's the best I can come up with considering the space limitations.

Can anyone improve on it?

post-10543-0-53838500-1297720130_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Obviously you are in the process of building and I assume that it is the viaduct that is giving problems. Have you considered just having a lower embankment here so that you can then give assess to the fiddle yard from the high line.

post-163-0-32394300-1297721143_thumb.jpg

Archived