GWR Collett 3rd Diag C46 (70') flat ends

15 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Hello

Rather than create a new topic, I thought I’d add to this one.  I’m tackling one of these as well.  A quick question. For the grab rail that goes on the roof, the roof diagram doesn’t show where they go.  Is there rule of thumb or other suggestion where they should go?  From pics I’ve seen, the comparatively thin lines tend not to be clear.

thanks

David

A quick trawl through RCA 2 suggests that they span the two roof hoops either side of the destination board brackets - so two (maybe four - two pairs) per roof.

Edited by K14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K14 said:

A quick trawl through RCA 2 suggests that they span the two roof hoops either side of the destination board brackets - so two (maybe four - two pairs) per roof.

That's great.  Many thanks.  What's RCA 2?  I've not heard of it!

David

3 hours ago, Clearwater said:

That's great.  Many thanks.  What's RCA 2?  I've not heard of it!

David

Sorry, it's shorthand for J.H. Russell GW Coaches Appendix Vol. 2. (OPC)

I've mis-typed that; my source was actually RCA Vol 1 which covers Diags. A to E - Firsts, Thirds, Brake Thirds & Composites (including Brake Compos). Couldn't really decide exactly where the handrails were on a C.46 owing to the angle of the photo, but plenty of other diagrams that show the feature. RCA 2 covers Slips, Posh Saloons, Diners, Newspaper Vans, TPOs & a good smattering of others, including NPCCS/'Brown' Vehicles.

• Thanks 1

Best I can offer is these. They do show the position for the lapping plates.  Centre hand rail as they are pre 30 stock and they would be position on the lapping plates either side of the outer Carriage board mounts, so for the all 3rd from the left  lapping plates 4/5 and 7/8. The plates are  positioned above the compartment walls so they vary on each type. 

I have include the four basic types, in case you are mad like me, and will one day make the whole train.

Mike

312519757_SouthWales3rdlr.jpg.e7acea87a0e99092cf8bab9e65a4e575.jpg1369398759_SouthWalescompolr.jpg.40b588d2ced8fc2c7bb3a0d2b83f0ed0.jpg1927266090_SouthWalesBk3rdlr.jpg.f5ce5b149d20f419b3e0c969fbb5cb00.jpg1784225404_SouthWalesDinerlr.jpg.cc0001d33ecd5265e5ef6b4d38fe4eb6.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

@Coach bogie  many thanks.  I’m progressing on the brake which will get painted when it’s a bit warmer.  I can’t recall what’s next on my pile but if comet make them, I’ll try them at some point!  If I understand correctly, these coaches were built for the South Wales services but got split out across the network.  I believe 70’ coaches were rostered on the northern expresses so that’s where I was intending to use these coaches on my eventual representation of those services.  If that’s not right, I’ll have to find other 70’ coaches!

@Miss Prismthanks for the link to the other thread, most helpful.  Can see what to do now!

David

In the 1930's they were used everywhere. I recommend Great Western Journal no 17 Winter 1996 which has a comprehensive article on the stock and workings, including table containing details of every coach built - really useful for the variations of bow/flat/both, ends.

The first 70ft coach model I built was from a MAJ kit, plastic shell with vinyl sides. I still have it with Comet sides. I have several on the layout and as below, just a  'few' left to build, from BSL/Phoenix kits. My bogie of choice is the ex Airfix auto coach bogie, which could be purchased for a few pounds from Peter's spares. I have one running on 7ft's as happened to some in the 1930's.

I have mentioned, in other threads, the 'extra' South Wales, brake third. One of the Dreadnought D42 brake thirds was burnt out at the time the South Wales stock was being constructed, and an extra body was made and put on the original Dreadnought underframe.

Mike Wiltshire

722783602_BSLSWStock.jpg.9fc62fea8efa7d109399ac9fe56a36ec.jpg